Short sets Part 2!

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
I have done this subject before, but it is really starting to wind me up, so I am doing it again!

Why do all these new bands (or should that be nu?!) do really shorts sets? I went to see Harry at Camden on friday night. I gotta admit it was pretty good but she only played for 35 minutes! I saw one support band, but I dare say there were two supports bands on the night. So the promoters would probably say that three bands for £6.50 is good value. And maybe they may have a point. But surely most of the crowd were there to see the headline act, so for her to just play for 35 minutes is taking the piss!

I went to see Linkin Park a couple of weeks ago, and they only played for 45 minutes. And they have two albums worth of material to choose from. Even Nickelback only played for 1 hour 10 minutes, and they have three albums of material to choose from. So it is not as if these bands haven't got enough songs to play live.

It is just being lazy and taking the piss.

I quite agree with you mate it's one big rip-off.

I read about Linkin Park doing just 45 minutes, and I guess that wasn't a cheap ticket ?

Frankly I don't think it's a lot to ask for 11/2 hours of entertainment from a band, in fairness if Seps had gone on much longer last night I think I would have ended up in casualty, it must be my age catching up with me. But all bands should do that minimum!

:heh:

I think the mainreason must be that they have so fully booked schedules, and so many venues to play at that they can't have so long gigs. That's what I think :err:

Yeah totally agree Fingers, a band should do 1 1/2 hours MINIMUM. The Linkin Park ticket was £15 face value, but I got mine through an official ticket tout......oops I mean a ticket agent and it cost £23. But even at £15 I would expect LP to play longer then 45 minutes!

Sorry Crusader but I would have to disagree with you. Bands don't tour to the extent that they once did. Linkin Park done a massive UK tour of Manchester and London! Wow no wonder they only played for 45 minutes, they must have been exhausted with that leg of the tour! Bands, or rather new bands, just do short shows because they just can't be bothered, but they do like our money!

Talking of front men. Yeah I know we wern't but we are now! All these new bands haven't got a kin clue how to work an audience. Your lucky if they introduce a song! Now I may be a bit biased, but Biff is without doubt the best front man I have ever seen. Not the best singer, but without doubt the best front man. He knows how to work a crowd and is funny as well. You know that if you go and see Saxon you are not only gonna rock your arse off, but your gonna have a laugh as well.

Ahhh they don't make bands like they used to!

The popular bands are those who have videos, and lots of them. Just look at Linkin Park, Christina Aguilera, rap artists etc., they have tons of videos, they relase new ones all the time, and now the music videos are more seen by the "youths" and it is the judgement of the video and apperance that matters for them. Linkin Park had almost all their songs of the new album on video when they released it!
I don't know really how it was on your time, if you discovered bands on gigs, on radio or listened to them in recordstores, but now it is musicvideos that are the big thing. I discovered Saxon, System of a Down, Staind, Maiden...almost all of them while watching musicvideos on a tvchannel, THANK YOU ZTV! :headbang: (bah, first time I heard maiden were on this game, called Carmageddon or something!)
Paxoman said:
Talking of front men. Yeah I know we wern't but we are now! All these new bands haven't got a kin clue how to work an audience. Your lucky if they introduce a song! Now I may be a bit biased, but Biff is without doubt the best front man I have ever seen. Not the best singer, but without doubt the best front man. He knows how to work a crowd and is funny as well. You know that if you go and see Saxon you are not only gonna rock your arse off, but your gonna have a laugh as well.

Ahhh they don't make bands like they used to!
Don't tease me :lol:

Best frontmen for me are,

Biff - The humour does it for me.
Kory Clarke - Warrior Soul.
Blaze Bayley - Blaze, he turns into the Dark Lord!

As for the length of gigs. Yeah it does suck when bands only play for 45 mins or whatever. Luckily I have only come across one I can think of and that was the Wildhearts years ago. Mind you they were probably so spangled they didn't realise how long they played for!
Saxon always play for ages and you certainly get your money's worth.