Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Bad

• Depends

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dead trainer ? Another one bites the dust... one less mouth to feed

Obviously as in anything else there are pros and cons to zoos. They have some protective programs for species though success is another story. It may allow humans to appreaciate that they are not the only species on earth but at the end of the day few care and more land will be cleared and turned into homes and parking lots. Is the zoo any kind of life for animals... no. Is this human infested planet any kind of life for wild animals ? In many cases NO !

Dead trainer ? Another one bites the dust... one less mouth to feed

Obviously as in anything else there are pros and cons to zoos. They have some protective programs for species though success is another story. It may allow humans to appreaciate that they are not the only species on earth but at the end of the day few care and more land will be cleared and turned into homes and parking lots. Is the zoo any kind of life for animals... no. Is this human infested planet any kind of life for wild animals ? In many cases NO !

It should be but it's sad. I can see some good things in zoos but lot of bad things too go along. Animals are part of life too so they don't need to be killed. What I don't like is animals being used for entertainment.

Why do you think a killer whale killing a trainer shows that animals shouldn't be kept in enclosures?

I hope you two realize you are tools... of course Tom is too... not me though. Blowtus I hope you dont entertain yourself with those steaks... paleeze

Key word Tom is "captivity"... if I even spelled it right... lol

Some places do the best they can for their animal enclosures, which is pretty darn good but as I said still no life. Others are very bad but those have been thinning in recent decades.

Story:

My cousin whom also happens to have always been a very good bass player... worked for a small zoo in Florida years ago, one of those "not so good places". They had a Lion, apparently he developed what he thought was a trusting relationship with this Lion. One day as he reached through the cage to pet the Lion it grabed his hand, ripped it up pretty good, he got that hand back by punching the Lion in the head with the other which then recieved a bit of damage too. Everyone figured he'd never play bass again but he has and infact recorded on a CD by Darren J. Trio called Panhandle Blues. Check said web site, Darrens in Mempis now with another band pursuing a further career but my cousin was in his origional band that played all around that panhandle area.

Anyhow through my older cousin I have always been a animal person and never hunted or owned a gun. But I have worked sled dogs, something else animal rites people frown on but they know nothing of it. The dogs love it and typically the working sled dog has the life over all other dogs. Very few pets get to stretch their legs like sled dogs or other working dogs such as herders and hunters. Many "dog" people/pet owners frown on working sled dogs too but have no problem turning their dogs into physically unfit obese blobs which we think is extremely cruel.

Many species in captivity will outlive thier cousins in the wild due to the harshness of climate and survival. The average life span of a wild wolf is seldom over 5-6 years, deer the same, ageing Lions have a short lived rein over their pride and are run off by younger studs to starve to death at a relatively young age compared to their female counter part.

Its a toss up, really, Im more concerned with man encroachment and species extinction than the comparitively small percentage kept in reasonable sized enclosures and as I said most of the low budget places have been closing down as the world of entertainment has been changing.

Razor - when you re read your posts, they make sense, yeah? I neither realise that I'm a tool, understand why you think so, or have any clue what you mean by your 2nd sentence.

Yeah. I always makes sense.

Tom was refering to animals being used for entertainment, you mentioned eating meat, Dakryn seconded the motion... thereby you were both being clowns/tools/asshats/jerks/smart asses, ect. ect. Eating meat and entertainment = two different things. We dont keep zoo animals for consumption.

Sorry you didnt get the sense of humor part of my post. One day hopefully we all come to realise we ARE ALL TOOLS... some may not let their arrogance accept the idea but alas welcome to being human.

Yeah. I always makes sense.

Tom was refering to animals being used for entertainment, you mentioned eating meat, Dakryn seconded the motion... thereby you were both being clowns/tools/asshats/jerks/smart asses, ect. ect. Eating meat and entertainment = two different things. We dont keep zoo animals for consumption.

That what I'm talking about razor. Most if not all animals shouldn't be used for entertaiment.

Ever see any programs on Killer Whales Tom ? They are brutal MoFos, I cant feel sorry for a handful in captivity nor a hurt trainer who knows they are taking risks. Now a wolf in a 20 X 40 pen bothers me. Those fish and sea mammals at sea world and such have a relatively decent life. As do some at the larger zoos.

You think they are totally seperate spheres and there is no possibility of considering actions in one regard in light of the other? You don't think it'd be somehow inconsistent to worry about the well being of killer whales in enclosures if there was a whole other bunch of killer whales we tortured for pleasure?

At the level of our consumption of meat it can very easily be considered a 'pleasure', just as a visit to the zoo. There are some arguments that apply to both and some that don't. Wholly dismissing any consideration of how we treat animals in general doesn't seem an effective way to consider how to treat them in specific contexts.

Sorry you didnt get the sense of humor part of my post. One day hopefully we all come to realise we ARE ALL TOOLS... some may not let their arrogance accept the idea but alas welcome to being human.

I can do self deprecation ok, I just couldn't understand you. I don't see much point in statements like 'we are all tools' because you lose the usefulness of the term by applying it to everyone. 'Blowtus, you're a tool because you over-intellectualise points that were not meant to be taken in such a fashion', would be a more appropriate use, imho... :p

You think they are totally seperate spheres and there is no possibility of considering actions in one regard in light of the other? You don't think it'd be somehow inconsistent to worry about the well being of killer whales in enclosures if there was a whole other bunch of killer whales we tortured for pleasure?
Dont recall any torturing of Killer Whales ???
At the level of our consumption of meat it can very easily be considered a 'pleasure', just as a visit to the zoo. There are some arguments that apply to both and some that don't. Wholly dismissing any consideration of how we treat animals in general doesn't seem an effective way to consider how to treat them in specific contexts.
are we still talking about centuries of domestic bred and hybridized food resources because the wild populations could not meet the demand without sure extinction along time ago as compared to the relative handful kept in captivity for human observation, education and wow factor. Not to mention the species in captivity that are already or headed for extention in the wild ?

I can do self deprecation ok, I just couldn't understand you. I don't see much point in statements like 'we are all tools' because you lose the usefulness of the term by applying it to everyone. 'Blowtus, you're a tool because you over-intellectualise points that were not meant to be taken in such a fashion', would be a more appropriate use, imho... :p

I respect your depreaciation, I respect that all humans are tools.

Im not sure over-intellectualise is approiate description for a comparision of domestic farmed bovine food resources to captive wild animals