Should we make this forum more about Andy and production?

Soundlurker

Nov 19, 2005
I'm definitely not against mixing contests, job and sale threads, amp sim tests and so on but lately I've been asking myself: is Andy's forum really the place for all of these? I don't want to turn this into another "the forum's not what it used to be" thread (IMO the forum is still the best there is), but I'd like to know what the general public thinks about it.

Do you feel these kind of threads should make up for such a substantial percentage of the forum or do you think they should be posted elsewhere?

I've been thinking about it and I in my opinion it should be the latter of the two. Usually, whenever someone says something like that, they stop there and don't do anything about it, so I decided to actually propose a solution. I've been working on a site, whose main purpose is to unite those that need a particular service and those who are offering it. Moreover, it should be able to promote studios and musicians, and of course it will assist those who need their tone rated or who are selling/buying something as well as bands who need additional band members. Here's the link: www.bandsandstudios.com

I sincerely hope it can be of help to all of you. If you think that I'm wrong and I'm just blatantly spamming then by all means - delete the thread. If not, then head over and be the first one to offer or request recording/editing/mixing/mastering/reamping/etc.

You have to think, theres only so much that can be said about Andy and his productions. I really like the fact that he has united hundreds of the best AE's around the world through this forum. They also just wouldnt have even made the sub-forums if that was such an issue.

The fact is, this is the ONLY place for people like us. It's a community in the making and all of us are thankful that Andy has let his forum grow this much. I see no issues whatsoever with people trying to improve their recording skills through "mix contests, sale threads, amp sim tests, etc".

Yes, I agree about "Andy and his productions", but I said Andy and production, as in production in general.

As I said, I'm not against "mix contests, sale threads, amp sim tests, etc." but there are people who sign up just for these and never really contribute anything to the forum.

You also gotta think though, If we all move over to the site you made, It will end up being the same situation, a bunch of guys just signing in to get presets and samps and reamps and all that stuff and then never coming back...so basically your just doing the same thing thats going on except for moving it to a different server.

No, no, the idea is completely different. My forum is dedicated mainly to the exchange of AE services. I know there are a lot of other subforums, some of which can be seen in this forum but those are for the sake of having a fuller, all-encompasing forum.

I also want to give everyone(bands and engineers) a chance to promote theirself in the appropriate section. If everyone started doing it here it would be pretty silly, seeing as how most of us are in a way competitors.

Let me mention once again I have no intent to "steal" people from this forum or undermine it in any way, My idea is merely to provide you with a convinient way to offer or request audio-related services.

In that case i completely read that whole thing wrong lol. The only idea I could think of would be...go ahead with that and try and get the people here to just post the services over on that one...and then link the 2 with a sticky or something...maybe?

It would be great if we can get a constantly updated place where you could check for job offers during studio downtime or where you could find someone who can do editing, reamping or mastering for you. That's from the AE's perspective. From the band's perspective, it would be cool to not have to spend a load of time and effort to find the right man for the job.

No need to ban such threads from Andy's forum or anything. I just think we're better of with a place specialized in the exchange of services.

I'm constantly online here :D I love the sneap forum! Thanks to you dudes I have been improving so much recently :)

EDIT - Yo dude, I just checked out your website link, fucking cool idea! I'm joining up right now :D

to be honest, I only have so much time in the day and only so much to say so I think the forum has to be like this with me commenting from time to time else it'd die pretty quick.

it's obviously not going to be like it was when it first started up. andy put all his info up in droves and then it slowed down once there was less to say.
and the old timers that came here and learnt loads and are now skilled as fuck aren't going to get as much out of the forum as the guys newer to the process.
the only thing i think needs to change is that sturgis needs his own forum now

Every minute you spend on this forum is greatly appreciated :kickass: I think no one really expects that you'd be here 24/7 (most probably answering the same questions over and over again :) )

In all honesty, I doubt the kind of threads I mentioned are keeping the forum alive. I know a lot has been said, covering pretty much all aspects of music production but despite that every now and then new threads pop out that are real gems. For example there are many threads in which professionals with a decade or two of experience give guidance to people who are just beginning to deal with recording on a more professional level. New/unpopular approaches to mixing keep being discovered and important realisations are made all the time.

Still, it is your forum and if that's how you feel things should be I can only respect that. Cheers

Honestly? No. Despite it's shortcomings and downfalls, I love this forum to bits and I'm damn proud to have been a part of it's transformation and growth. I've been here for almost 6 years now... this place still kicks ass.

im happy where we are here - although the andy sneap forums are mainly seen by a lot of a place to learn how andy done his work its turned into a massive collection of friends to do with mixing, mastering, songwriting, production, photo's, websites and multiple people sharing techniques.

im sure andy himself has learned something from others here posting their techniques. if it were to be locked down to just what andy does well we would all come out with an anthems of rebellion tone and to be honest half of us here wouldn't know what we currently know about music and production.

without sounding snotty or anything i've learned more from others here then i have from andy. i dont mean to be bad but andy's not here much which is 100% understandable because he has his own life working and playing and he's a busy man. thus i've learned more from everyone else being here talking about their techniques and experiences if that were to change that would seriously IMHO suck major ass

its perfect the way it is

long live the sneap army

I think I might have phrased my idea in a less than ideal way, because I pretty much agree with all of you. I too think there should be additional stuff in the forum - from off-topic to musical collaboration.

Let me paraphrase myself: do you think we can benefit from having the mix-my-song and looking-for-reamping threads posted at a dedicated place such as the site I've made?

the only thing i think needs to change is that sturgis needs his own forum now

Not trying to break your balls or derail a thread man, but yeah you need to get off Joey's ass. He's a talent and posts some good info. leave it alone already.

go fuck yourself man, i wasnt meaning to sound like a cunt FOR ONCE, i was just saying, there's that many topics here about joey's tone that it's about time he got his own forum. jeez.

heres mark wahlberg with the weather

Last edited by a moderator: