should we talk about this...

"Power Tube - 6L6GC x 1
Pre Tube - 12AX7 x 1"

and

"...big valve sound..."

sounds a bit impossible! :) anyway I'm expecting "sounds-like-my-triple-recto-type-reviews" in HC soon ;)

Sieger said:
sounds a bit impossible! :) anyway I'm expecting "sounds-like-my-triple-recto-type-reviews" in HC soon ;)

Don't you mean the "sounds just like the Recto I can't afford"? ;)

Edit: the reviews, I mean - it always seems like that anything that sounds "just like or better than a Recto" is invariably reviewed by someone who doesn't OWN a Recto.

eaeolian said:
It won't be *much* of a high-gain amp with one 12AX7 unless there's some diode clipping going on somewhere...

That's what I was thinking. To be "high gain" like they claim, I'd almost imagine that would have to be a solid state preamp with a tube driver and a tube power amp.

John Haddad (Shiva Industries) said:
Well I'm not sure how to react! I was told they used a mini marshall stack for for 2 of the guitars on Carcass's HEARTWORK. Maybe not as the main tone but a secondary, might be worth playing with if you've got the extra cash and time.

I don't think that it was used enough to really make any sort of impact. 30th Anniversary Marshalls and 5150's, if I recall.

Those micro-Marshalls looked really cool, but they sounded pretty horrific.

silverwulf said:
That's what I was thinking. To be "high gain" like they claim, I'd almost imagine that would have to be a solid state preamp with a tube driver and a tube power amp.

Yup... but I bet that could sound pretty sick. :)

SoSomething said:
Any of you haters ever play a low-wattage tube combo before? :)

Yes, and I'm not "hating", I'm pointing out a legitimate techincal issue - the high-gain preamp will most likely have to be Marshall-style diode clipping instead of 12AX7 gain-stage clipping. That doesn't mean it will sound bad.

eaeolian said:
Yes, and I'm not "hating", I'm pointing out a legitimate techincal issue - the high-gain preamp will most likely have to be Marshall-style diode clipping instead of 12AX7 gain-stage clipping. That doesn't mean it will sound bad.

And I did't say "hey eaolian why are you being a hater!?" either. :) I read and agreed with your comments. I was remarking more towards the person who said it would sound bad because it was small/low wattage.