Shows you missed/passed up and now regret

I was trying to get Shining over here about a year ago and they ran into the same issue. They even went to the US Embassy to talk about options. Apparently lesser crimes aren't as big a deal and are assessed on a case-by-case basis...at least that is what they told me.

I'm glad I got to see Dissection back in the day before he did his time.

I'm glad I got to see Dissection back in the day before he did his time.

I envy you! I couldn't give less of a fuck about seeing the "Rebirth" live, but I would give almost anything to see Dissection in their days of glory.

Oh yeah, there was some Emperor/Borknagar tour in 1997 if I'm not mistaken. That would have been unreal.

Emperor, Borknagar, Witchery, Peccatum, Epoch of Unlight in 1999. Was Emperor's one and only big tour of the US when IX Equillibrium was released.

Was an amazing show, Borknagar was a total unexpected bonus

Reactions: MFJ
I envy you! I couldn't give less of a fuck about seeing the "Rebirth" live, but I would give almost anything to see Dissection in their days of glory.

It was a great show. Dissection, At The Gates, and Morbid Angel in Chicago. One of the better weekends of my life, really. I wouldn't have seen the Rebirth had they done a full US tour.

I saw the first rebirth gig and it was great, the band was really psyched to be back on the road and 20 again and all of that, the playing was flawless etc, and if it hadn't been my first day without crutches I would have used them to hit Tranquillian who got a wee bit too loveable for a newly-crippled as I was then.

/Hell Mike

I saw Dissection live in 1996 and yes they were as amazing as the legends say and no I never get tired of talking about that show.

Crappy camcorder coverage but you can still hear how ridiculously tight they were. 14:30 to 14:55 sounds better than the album.

I saw Isis when I didn't really even know them, but it was a solid experience and I slowly got into their music afterwards. Neurosis however didn't win me over. I heard I wasn't the only loser to find them quite underwhelming on their 2017 tour down under, although the last 3 songs of their set packed a good punch.

I missed some cool shit by being young and too shy, not being in the know, or not spending the money/effort to travel to concerts in the Northern Hemisphere. But otherwise I've barely passed up any of my chances. I've seen more than half of my favourite artists/bands (more like 70% if not counting split up ones).

The main shows I regret consciously passing up:

The Dead Weather
Grey Daturas
Chuganaut (only for the lulz, one of New Zealand's most hilarious nu metal bands)

Budgie a 2nd time (the 1st time was one of the best shows I've ever seen and I should've made the effort to travel to Australia again in 2009, as within a year they had to stop touring due to Burke's health)

The Wreckery (Australian band on a little reunion tour there in 2010, think I found out at short notice and it seemed too much effort to travel)

The Residents (in 2016 before Hardy died, I found out at short notice with this one too and my health made getting to airports on time difficult by this point, but on the other hand they played just 20 mins walk from my sister's place in Melbourne, Australia)

I too missed a Dissection show, in 2004 so it was part of that Rebirth tour. It was in the city I was living in at the time, I can't even remember why I didn't go. I also missed Isis too, again same city so wasn't even much effort to go. Looks like that was in 2009. Those are the two that stand out.

Also I had the opportunity to see Pantera in high school, I guess this would have been about 2000. I reckon this probably would have been my first gig, or one of the very first at least. But I didn't go as I kind of hated the people who had invited me.

I've also missed numerous (normally headline) sets at festivals too which I regret, where I've been at the festival but just not seen the set, normally due to alcohol. "We'll catch them next time" is a frequent utterance at the festivals I go to. The one which stands out is Emperor in 2014 when they played the whole of "In the Nightside Eclipse". I think I actually witnessed this one but don't remember a single thing about it as I was hammered.

Reactions: Reign in Acai
The answer would be Type O Negative, but I saw them in 2007 and it was one of the best music-related decisions evAr.

There were probably a lot of shows I would have enjoyed seeing during my hiatus, but I wouldn't know. I would've liked to see some groups like Agalloch but I don't remember them ever being nearby when I was paying attention. I didn't live anywhere near an actual city back then so I really had to go out of my way to find and attend shows.

Had I discovered Pink Floyd like six months earlier, I would have raised hell to attend the Division Bell tour date in Lyon back in Sept. 1994. That's my biggest and only true regret. History doesn't serve the same dish up twice.

Reactions: Reign in Acai
I would've liked to see some groups like Agalloch but I don't remember them ever being nearby when I was paying attention.

I'm glad I got to see Agalloch. I saw them 3 times including travelling to Estonia once to see them.

I'd still kind of like to see Empyrium. I don't believe they play much outside of Germany, certainly never in the UK. I know they are scheduled to play the "Prophecy Fest" this year in some cave somewhere in Germany. Probably 10 years ago I would have gone to that but I don't think I have sufficient enthusiasm anymore.

I got to see In The Woods a few years ago when they played in London. Was nice to hear some of the old songs but yeah, not the same.

Probably 10 years ago I would have gone to that but I don't think I have sufficient enthusiasm anymore

feel ya British bro. And not because of Empyrium per se. I keep telling myself that I miss attending a nice festival with ye olde crew, but somehow I know that when the time comes for planning I'll find a dozen excuses to decline.

Reactions: Doom
I wanted to see The Obsessed and The Skull in August but there were no dates in Colorado (of course there were three in Texas when I wasn't there). Now with Eric Wagner's passing there will be no opportunity to see any of the great bands he was in.