Shpongle/Hallucinogen.

DivineMomentsofTruth

Forever Shpongled
Dec 9, 2006
Under your bed
What's everyone's opinion of these groups?

Both headed by musical genius Simon Posford, Hallucinogen is more techno-ish, with a more bassey, deep sound, where as Shpongle delves much further into psychedelia. Shpongle is by far the superior group (in fact one of my favorite groups of all time - probably largely due to the fact that I do a lot of psychedelics), IMO, but my favorite song by either of them, The Herb Garden, is a Hallucinogen song.

Anyway, what do you guys think of these groups? Which do you prefer? And lastly, what other psytrance would you recommend? I like Infected Mushroom a lot, but I'm really not a big fan of other stuff that's been recommended to me in the past.

Hallicinogen have been around for years, in fact im still surprised they are still talked about...but then i have been out of the loop in that respect for years now. First heard them in the early 90's i think, thought they were v interesting.

i really really dig infected mushroom more than any other trance band (including shpongle)...: those two men are out of this world. as for techno trance, i'd suggest astral projection. but thats goa trance and i guess it may not be your cup of tea

astral projection, infected mushroom and shpongle are all great. I find more diveristy in shpongle, but i still cant get enough IM.

astral projection, infected mushroom and shpongle are all great. I find more diveristy in shpongle, but i still cant get enough IM.

Yeah, I need to get into Infected Mushroom more. I love em, but I don't have nearly enough of their stuff. AP I don't really carre for, but then again, I may not have heard enough of their stuff.

Ozric Tentacles is perhaps a "lighter" and more accessible band like the ones mentioned...gets you hooked on the crazy sounds and amazing progressions without pulling you TOO far out of reality...

i really enjoy "The Floor is Too Far Away" and "Spirals in Hyperspace"

What's everyone's opinion of these groups?

Both headed by musical genius Simon Posford, Hallucinogen is more techno-ish, with a more bassey, deep sound, where as Shpongle delves much further into psychedelia. Shpongle is by far the superior group (in fact one of my favorite groups of all time - probably largely due to the fact that I do a lot of psychedelics), IMO, but my favorite song by either of them, The Herb Garden, is a Hallucinogen song.

Anyway, what do you guys think of these groups? Which do you prefer? And lastly, what other psytrance would you recommend? I like Infected Mushroom a lot, but I'm really not a big fan of other stuff that's been recommended to me in the past.

Simon has a billion other side projects, generally more in the downtempo vein of Shpringle, you should check them out. Most of them are on Twisted Records, along with some other decent stuff like Ott and Prometheus. There's also Phuture Primitive, which has a similar effect and sound to Shpongle.

You're likely to enjoy Juno Reactor - they also include spanish guitar and other ethno/tribal influences, but are generally more upbeat.

I like Pleiadians - IFO, it's like a more layered and frenetic Hallucinogen. It's good in the "spaced out, staring at the wall unfocused" sort of sense.

Derango - Tumult is also cool, though it goes more for a "malicious critters with glowing green eyes, chattering about how they're going to enter through your body orifices and devour your brains" feel.

my friend is really into shpongle, but i don't trust his music taste at all so i never bothered checking them out

Shpongle are pretty well liked and respected in general, worth a shot, I think. I like their first album the most, it's definitely the trippiest. The latter two have ethnic influences that are really hit or miss for me.

Shpongle's Are You Shpongled? is amazing. The rest of their albums are extremely disappointing. Haven't heard Hallucinogen.

I always felt The Future Sound of London - Lifeforms was somewhat similar to it (which is also an amazing album). Not as trippy though.

^As good as AYS? was, I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and choose Tales of the Inexpressible as my favorite. More melodic and trippy and less trance-ish than their first album. All 3 were really good, though, IMO.

I have some Juno Reactor, and I do like them. I don't have much of their stuff though, but your post got me motivated to get more.

And to the person who said you haven't listened to Shpongle because of your friend...listen to it. It's definitely not for everyone, and you can decide for yourself if you enjoy the style of music or not...but either way, if you take a few minutes to listen to it, you'll notice the brilliance and sheer awesomeness of it.