Signs: Worst movie ever?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • No.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • Haven't seen it, but probably.

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
i like this movie. from what i recall it wasn't about "faith" -- it's about personal overcoming. and, yes, the main character is a pastor who might speak of his ordeals in religious language, but what else do you expect? i'm not going to hate a movie for this reason. a main character who is religious would speak of things in religious terms, but this does not mean the movie or the message of the movie is religious.

frankly, i liked the direction. m night always manages to create an intimate atmosphere in his movies, as though, no matter what happens "outside", or how grand things get, what matters is the central biographical focus of the characters weaved as they are with their own intimate struggles. that's not much, but that's a quality in story telling i like. thusly Signs = O K.

X

Regardless of whether the movie is about overcoming obstacles or faith in God, the fact is it tries very hard to be thought provoking and to me, fails miserably. In attempting to be deep, it forgets that having a sensible story is a critical prerequisite.

The most important thing for me in a movie is a plot that holds up and makes sense, anything else may be important for making a movie excellent, but for me a movie cannot even be good without this first and foremost.

This is why I feel that Signs is the worst movie I have ever seen, though Cube is close behind. :p

Jiggaman said:
Regardless of whether the movie is about overcoming obstacles or faith in God, the fact is it tries very hard to be thought provoking and to me, fails miserably. In attempting to be deep, it forgets that having a sensible story is a critical prerequisite.

if you want "deep" pick up a book in math. frankly, i don't watch movies to learn, and i don't think the movie was pretending to be anything other than a story told through motion-picture. secondly, what wasn't sensible about the story? aliens come down, a few of them infiltrate people's houses, and then they go away. that is perfectly coherent. the fact that we don't know much about these aliens is the point: there is supposed to be a divide between events in the world and how much we know about these events. from my point of view the fact that we never know much about the aliens signifies this: AMBIGUITY resisting clarity in the midst of the need for action, which is a major part of the human condition. m night fortifies this impression- he doesn't ruin it- by making info on the aliens as scarce as it is in the movie. also, refer to my other point. if the central focus in the movie is the moral/character struggle -- not the battle against aliens- of course, we wouldn't get to know much about the aliens, since they're not supposed to matter much in the first place. this movie is mediocre at best, true, but it is still possible to misconstrue mediocre movies.

X

It was alright. The worst movie I've ever seen was Webmaster. It's a Danish flick (it has an English voice-over, but you can tell it's done by Danish guys who can barely speak English. They have accents, and make many grammatical errors) about a super-hacker who can control the internet with his mind.

Pure crap. That and Necropolis: City of the Dead, but that was just hilarious.

Originally Posted by Xtokalon
if you want "deep" pick up a book in math. frankly, i don't watch movies to learn, and i don't think the movie was pretending to be anything other than a story told through motion-picture.
Where did I say I wanted deep? I said that for a movie to have a chance at being truly great, it first needed a sensible plot, which Signs didn't have.
if the central focus in the movie is the moral/character struggle -- not the battle against aliens- of course, we wouldn't get to know much about the aliens, since they're not supposed to matter much in the first place. this movie is mediocre at best, true, but it is still possible to misconstrue mediocre movies.
How is this not an attempt to be deep and thought provoking?

secondly, what wasn't sensible about the story? aliens come down, a few of them infiltrate people's houses, and then they go away. that is perfectly coherent. the fact that we don't know much about these aliens is the point: there is supposed to be a divide between events in the world and how much we know about these events.
I think we have different definitions of "perfectly coherent."

Fact: Aliens are allergic to water, yet walk freely on earth.
Fact: Earth is composed mainly of water; Earth's atmosphere contains water; humans are composed mainly of water.

Is this a planet you would try and take over? :err:
All we'd have to do is drool on them and they'll disintegrate.

Fact: Aliens are capable of space travel, and jumping onto roofs.
Fact: Aliens cannot escape pantries, or break through boarded up windows and doors.

With legs strong enough to jump onto the roof of a house, they should certainly be able to knock open a door or two, no problem.

Fact: Aliens came to attack humans.
Fact: Aliens bring no equipment whatsoever, and decide to attack Mel Gibson's farmhouse in the middle of nowhere.

Does this make any sense to you, because it definitely doesn't to me.