Silent recording...Preamp / Impulses?

cundalini

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2009
In need of a silent late night option...kids,neighbors, Ive been using...Tubescreamer's Secret (TSS) in front of Wagner Sharp Mk II, and Voxengo Boogex, which has been good for the time being but spending some time here learning some things I decided to try a few Preamps and to my surprise I think Im getting better results with the above, and I really havent even tweaked it that much to a really likable sound. Again surprised, because figuring a tube preamp ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, would yield better results so Im confused??? Am I doing something wrong, setting,levels??? This is going to be tuff but the Preamps definitely sounds more like a real amp but it doesnt sound as good as the Impulse. I will try to explain this further if you guys cant understand this, hopefully you guys can! I havent recorded both of them yet, so this comparison is only ffrom monitoring the two. So, any thoughts, tips, theory's, as to why I think I may be hearing this?

I don't think you can really beat Wagner Sharp for silent recording. It's free, VST so you can edit tones in mixdown, and it sounds pretty damn good. And it is FREE. I CAN get better tone with my dual preamp setups, but the added time and effort really doesn't pay off for a tone that isn't as good as a mic'ed cabinet anyway.

I am even considering selling my rack gear and just getting an HD147 for live tones...

It could just be a gain staging thing.
I've found that a single track through an amp sim needs more gain than when I double it. Once it's doubled I can back the gain off a lot before it sounds less distorted, but the amp noise is reduced. weird.

I use Digidesign Eleven mostly right now. The trick with that one is the input level control, I just couldn't get enough gain out of the plug before I noticed that knob!

I've found notch filters to be essential after amp modelling to getting rid of the fizz, even with impulses. 2 or 3 of them usually does the trick, adjust them with every amp/cab/impulse change for best results.

I use a PDI-03 Speaker Emulator and Load Box without using the emulator to do silent recording with impulses. I go out of the speaker outs of my half-cranked Amp into the PDI-03 and out of the PDI into Pro Tools where I apply impulses with TL Space or Boogex. I use the speaker emulation output of the PDI only for a decent no-latency monitor sound while the PDI's line-out goes into my soundcard. So I get some nice poweramp saturation at -INF dB volume.

I would also suggest that if you're using any kind of digital amp sim to use Wagner, its free and it really does sound better than all of the others.

Last night I was pleasantly surprised when I mic'ed my amp on a very low setting (I'm talking like 1), but used a 20db boost button on my preamp. I actually got a better tone than when I tried to mic my amp cranked up pretty loud the other day.

Good part was my kids slept right through it!