Simone Simons illness KO's Epica tour

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
Folks;

Simone Simons posted this on Epica's board. She has caught a massive does of MRSA aka "Hospital bacteria" She will be on the shelf for a bit. Here is the statement. Enjoy!

Dear Epica fans,

Since a couple of months I have been struggling with infections and had surgery many times. The doctors didn’t know what was wrong with me.
After a lot of tests at the hospital they found out that I am infected with MRSA, also known as the hospital bacteria. The treatment of this bacteria comes with a strict hygienic schedule that I have to work through every day. Because of this I will not be
able to go on long trips let alone live on a tour bus.
Therefore we are forced to cancel most of our shows in February. The shows on the 22nd and 23rd in Lille and Vosselaar we will still do since they are independent shows and very close by. We cannot plan too far ahead since I first have to get rid of the infection and that will take some time. How long it will take we cannot tell at the moment.

We are very sorry that we cannot do these shows. We were all looking forward to this tour and to meet you guys. What I have to focus on now is getting well, so that
we will be on the road again as soon as possible. Please check out our site every once in a while for more information on this matter.

Simone and Epica

Oy, that really stinks for her. That almost sounds like a modern day version of a staff infection, but after doing a small bit of reading, it is obviously different. There seems to be a lot of stuff making it's way to the fore this year that is highly resistant to most, if not all known forms of antibiotics. I've read a few articles about stuff like that. I know of more than one person with stuff (mostly in an ear, which raises an eyebrow) that refuses to go away no matter HOW many antibiotics and other treatments get applied.

I feel for her (especially considering my own comparatively newfound status as a person living with an autoimmune disease (MS), hence personally more susceptible to such things). Having to live virtually in a bubble or what-have-you has to be rough. Once this is all taken care of, i wouldn't blame her if on her next tour she was a bit afraid to be in contact with anyone new.

MRSA is a strain of staph... Methicillin Resistant Staph Aureus. Basically, its a form of a bacteria commonly found on everyone's skin, but that has grown resistant to the drugs we use to treat bacteria like it, so it's near impossible to treat. Our hosp had a kitten in the isolation ward last month with MRSA >.< Icky for SS!

(especially considering my own comparatively newfound status as a person living with an autoimmune disease (MS), hence personally more susceptible to such things)
Damn, that sucks. I've actually had a chronic pain/discomfort issue the past year and a half that came completely out of the blue...still trying to find out what's going on and how to treat it, but I'm hangin in there...frustrating as I've been otherwise quite healthy
shrug2.gif
With all that can go wrong with the human body, it's a wonder any of us survive.

Damn, that sucks. I've actually had a chronic pain/discomfort issue the past year and a half that came completely out of the blue...still trying to find out what's going on and how to treat it, but I'm hangin in there...frustrating as I've been otherwise quite healthy
shrug2.gif

Don't you hate that about modern medicine? Supposedly we have come so far, but when it comes down to it, they really have no clue about anything. They don't know what causes much of anything, or really how to cure a damn thing. Even for the things they *can* actually figure out and treat, it's really just a shot in the dark and a hope that it works. This past decade, i've gotten an incredible amount of experience with the state of medicine, both from being directly involved in the health care of both of my parents, and now my own extensive and ongoing experiences. It disillusions you, to say the least.

But i guess if i wanted to be really cynical, i would say that all of this figures, because there is no money in a cure, but there is plenty of money in continuing to treat you.

Anyway, hopefully they can figure out what you have going on. That's rough when you don't even have a diagnosis. Hell, if you get good and fed up, go to a completely different set of doctors that aren't connected to the same network and see if perhaps they can figure it out. Most insurances will pay for something like that.

With all that can go wrong with the human body, it's a wonder any of us survive.

Ain't it the truth heh.