Since when has drum replacment/triggers been around?

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
Because I listen to some older records like Pantera's Far Beyond Driven, The Great Southern Trendkill, Metallica's Black Album, etc. and I just cannot believe how awesome and flawless the drum tone (and playing) is on those albums!

Honestly, those are two of my favorite drum tones so far and I don't know if they had drumagog back then, but the drums sound sooooo friggin good!

Haha, I can guarantee that they didn't have Drumagog, but I'd be curious too to know if sample replacement was done (or realistically possible) back in those days...

yes... it was done quite differently.. with MIDI and a hardware synchronizer , but yeah.... i recorded the Death album "Spiritual Healing" in 1989... Scott Burns used sample replacement/enhancement on that album.

and what a pain in the butt that was, we used to use the recorded track as a trigger into a d4 and back to tape ,old-school drumagoging.
Or have the drummer hitting simmons pads along with the recording (haha)

I used to do it with a DM4 trigger input plugged into the channel insert. Sometimes syncing Cubase (score) to the tape machine with time code for simple editing. Worked very well. I don't miss it though.

For what it's worth the guy who invented the theremin (Leon Theremin) developed a 'drum machine' (called a rhythm machine, but if I'm not mistaken putting 'drum' in the same sentence as that would have been quite a stretch) around 1930 or 1931.

MIDI wasn't developed until 1983, so anything happening before then would have been basically a mechanical monstrosity.

Jeff

oh, cool! do you guys think those albums had drum replacement involved?

I have yet to hear a drum tone half as powerful as Vinnie Paul's

You may need a drummer that is twice as powerful as Vinnie :lol: Afaik he hits the skin very hard.

...and uses HUGE sticks! I was just listening to Far Beyond... and the toms sound like the skins were very, very loose. It sounds cool though!

the machine used for sampling in the "old days" was called the Forat. Google it for more info. When you listen to the Black album you are hearing a lot of sample mixed in.

Excellent thread, i was wondering how was used, and around when started too, and i found this really interesting, because a few years ago i didn´t knew anything about sound replacement.

I think the one who ignited all the sampled drums trend in metal would be FF's Raymond Herrera, quite obviously Demanufacture wasn't the first major metal record with samples, but nonetheless the trend started with it.

I remember Ray saying that he wanted to mix the heaviness of metal drums with the sonic perfection of pop/electronic acts such as Depeche Mode.

Even Back in Black had drum samples.

They used triggers or even the mikes plugged into a signal genrator, like the MXR1 then shooted into a sampler. They had a couple of equipements to check for peak alignment as well

If you watch the VH1's classic albums on the black album, they show the track sheet for enter sandman and there's clearly tracks labeled "SNR sample" and "kik sample".

Also you can hear a few mis triggers on that record.