Vibrato ?

• Vibrato

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No vibrato

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • I want a cookie

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
I am not sure it has to do with lack of technique at all. Dan Tompkins has the most impressive technique I have heard, I have heard him go so low and so high in whistle voice I thought this was a joke. And he has a two hours morning voice workout that he does any single day of his life. He has a diet revolving around his voice. Etc

I think the dead flat style does not tolerate any pitch imperfection.

Another singer that masters both types is Devin.

I agree as well a subtle and tasteful vibrato at the end of a held note is awesome !

Check Dan Tompkins or Ashe Ohara

This is the first hit on youtube for ashe o'hara and it has quite a bit of vibrato and you can definitely tell she is a talented singer:

The Dan Tompkins video I watched also had vibrato, although much less. I can't say I don't like it, but it could definitely use a bit more. I definitely prefer Ashe O'hara's style which combines both long flat notes and very tasteful vibrato.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean - A lot of singers nowadays use vibrato too much, like a crutch because they can't hold a note. I appreciate a singer that can hold a clean note on pitch with a little vibrato at the end, more than someone who uses vibrato on every damn note.

Whenever I perceive singing as beautiful, it has to have a good vibrato. It's often like the soul of your performance. I can't really see any point in deliberately not using vibrato unless the music calls for it. So a strong vote for vibrato.

Myself I can hold a note pretty well whenever I've been singing more often, but vibrato is always more like a happy accident. It seems it's different for a lot of people - many say it just comes naturally and many that you have to make it. On the other hand, if making a vibrato is shaking your head like a moron like some of those MTV singers do, then I'd say it's the wrong technique.

Maybe we're setting our thresholds differently but I think Tompkins uses vibrato all the time it's just the understated pop style.

Maybe ! Although your "all the time" is more than exaggerated in my opinion. I just listened again to like 3 songs in a row and could barely notice any vibrato. He constantly pushes notes without even moving in front of is mike except to move away from it when he pushes hard or ends a note. I don't know how you can use less vibrato than him, he only does on soft notes and only at the end of a long flat ones

Dan Tompkins sounded awesome!

There are those american singers that sing very high in mix voice without vibrato, David Phelps does it, those looong high C# ending with a nice vibrato! is Oh Holy night version is crazy!