whitney houston national anthem

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qciWEufZ2xA&feature=related[/ame]

ok this is hands down the greatest rendition of the nat anthem i've ever heard as well as any vocal performance ever IMO. my friend was talking about it like these crappy hack singers like beyonce and american idol people, and honestly, no pop singers have ever come close to TRUE "world class" musicianship vocally except whitney houston. i'm talking at the level of ella fitzerald or something like that. the beyonce, mariah carey, and all the other "big name" super bowl anthems are all crap. how they get so much attention proves most people are tone deaf or something.

and on the topic of lip syncing, i am not sure i have heard whitney synced this but watching is closely her vibrato match 100% with the audio so it seems live. even the natural imperfections in her throat and stuff match up. but this is my rebuttal to people who say "oh whitney lip synced it" is that even if she did, she still sounds great whereas if all these other singers lip synced it, they sound crappy, so you would think they at least put more time into it, or auto tuned it or something. beyonces version sucked ass. i've been to probably 300+ baseball games in my life and i can safely say i've never heard a decent singing of the national anthem, or god bless america. ever. it's pretty sad really.

i know this thread might have been more fitting in, oh, 1992, lol, but i just figured it deserved some daylight. since the first day i heard it back when it aired live i still get chills down my back hearing it. so while i am pretty sure from personal judgement it is truly live, either way, the performance is so perfect it's scary. unreal.

ps - at around 1:34 or so at "the bombs bursting in air" it's kind of a slip up. she clearly turns her head and no vibratto, but i don't get it, all the other vibrattos are dead on. i'll try to analyze some more. she seems SPOT on with most of it.

yeah like i said, even if this was pre recorded, it is still flawless and pretty much the most perfect vocal performance i've ever heard. i was 7 years old at the time but with the intense level of nationalism, and the war, it was quite a moment, even back then i had a hunch i was watching something special. to compare apples to apples, even if jordin sparks and all those other super bowl nat. anthems were pre recorded they sound like crap. weak vibratos, a lot of bad notes, and poor technique and performance. its adding insult to injury, if you are going to forge something like the national anthem on the biggest television event on earth at least do a good job in the studio and use melodyne or something to clean it up. not only do the performances suck but the lip syncing cover up is terrible, there is like a vibrato and their mouthes are closed lol. very obvious.

on edit: i just heard the jordin sparks version and it is TERRIBLE. i don't see how people talk about this so highly, apparently they are tone def. it is full of mistakes.

I don't think she's lip syncing. At 1:57min you can see the veins in her neck stick out due to vocal exertion.

I know this because I play in a pop cover band (easy money) and they shot a DVD/music video and if the vocalist synced up with the audio you could see in the performance that it was weaker and less...well...performed. She ended up singing every take (38 takes) of the song which made her voice hoarse but it looked more real.