boring music awesome technician (Whitney)

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I was flipping channels a few nights ago and there was some kind of "oldschool jam" or something to that effect on BET. Whitney Houston was on with some "Preacher's Wife" soundtrack video and I realized while I wouldn't give a quarter for the song as I don't care for 99.9% of R&B or her music either, that woman might be the best vocalist I have ever heard as far as just how well she has mastered and honed her voice.
While there are these "divas" out there like Mariah Carey, etc. that try and sing every note in a scale while going from one word in a song to another, I don't think I have ever heard a metal vox, another R&B vox or even an opera vocalist with her prowess.
I'm not impressed enough with her style to actually buy any of her material, but I respect her immensely as a pure vocalist after hearing that song and a couple of othersd in the past. To me, she set the standard for vocals in female R&B as far as the technical side of it and really set the standard for any style music technically speaking.

Bryant

Yes, Whitney can sing. I don't think I've ever heard a female vocalist with the pure power that she has. It's a shame that she's just been ruined by Bobby Brown and all of that insanity.

but she doesn't sound like a woman, rather like some pre-programmed musical instrument.

i much prefer Christina Aguilera :)

if technical skill was all that mattered why would we even need vocalists ? just make instrumental electronic music, keep it digital all the way to the CD for extra accuracy :)

zhora said:
but she doesn't sound like a woman, rather like some pre-programmed musical instrument.

i much prefer Christina Aguilera :)

if technical skill was all that mattered why would we even need vocalists ? just make instrumental electronic music, keep it digital all the way to the CD for extra accuracy :)
I agree 99% with what you say. Pure technical ability is far from the "essence" of great music. However, I have to acknowledge the masters of the arts from a technical standpoint as well as from who my "favorites" are including things like style and emotion.
Yngwie has been boring for about ten years, but he is so technically proficient, guitar playing slowed down to a crawl as far as "pure technical virtuosity" after he came on the scene. Certainly, any self-respecting metal-head wouldn't want to admit Whitney Houston is the best technical vocalist out there as I wouldn't "want" to, but I think she is/was. I personally feel that someone who has achieved that much control over their craft, be it guitar, vocal, armpit fart or eating the most slices of pizza deserves kudos. Since music is my favorite hobby, great vocals top pizza eating just a bit and Whitney is/was on top of the game. I respect everyone's opinion.
If you don't like her, that is fine, but it takes an incredible amount of work to achieve the virtuosity she has accomplished, not as a pop star, but as an artist. While some artists like Britney Spears have acheived success from simply "being able to sing," (barely) Whitney achieved her fame by being able to sing greatly.

Bryant