Single Coil Shootout: Fender Baja Telecaster VS PRS Custom 24

Clark Kent

Jan 23, 2011
For the metal comparison skip til the end. Anyways I just wanted to test how this "humbucker guitar" with coil tap compared to the legend that started it all, the telecaster.

Didn't tweak the patches to suit either one of the guitars.. EQ is flat so it's fair for both guitars.

Make your own judgements through this any way you want. Personally I'm really surprised how much more pleasant the PRS single coil modes sound when compared to the tele. Then again if I want that over the top single coil tone the telecaster is my choice. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im still chuckling at my curse being played on a telecaster :p PRS better all rounder, nicely balanced for the typical cleans. If I was recording the next RHCP album though I think i'd use the tele...

There are things to consider. The PRS coil tapped had a lot more output than the tele. I would lower the gain/volume on the amp if I really intended to use it. And like you said, the PRS pickups are humbuckers (which are my favorite humbuckers and I'm glad I've got an extra pair of them lying around :) ) and although they are humbuckers they are very VERY much comparable to a Fender single coil guitar when split. The PRS neck is almost half of the thickness on the tele with 24 frets and a trem that stays in perfect tune.

They both have their place in the world. The Tele neck pickup played lightly is a very lush and warm and vintage. If I'd have to take one of these on a deserted island with me and my amp... there's no contest really. PRS does it all and IMO even most of those split coil sounds were better on the PRS.

Vintage vs modern.