Single-pedal VS Multi-effects ???

sevenways

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2006
Is only single-distortion-petal (metalzone) enough for black/death metal guitar sound ?

or ... should I buy multi efx ?
(Zoom G1, it's also has metalzone efx).

if you just want it for distortion anyway..... no problem with a single pedal (though I prefer the distortion of a good amp, but we're getting into a bit more expensive territory here)
if you also want other effects (like reverb, chorus, delays, ..... whatever) then you can either buy more pedals or the multi-fx

cant really comment on the metalzone or zoom because I've nerver used either

thanks for reply.
some said single pedal distortion sound is better than multi efx distortion sound....is that true?

and...which effect types (dist.,reverb,delay, etc) are mostly use in death/black metal in generally ???

it depends, there are multi-fx units out there with really good distortion sounds, most of those are modelling units though, like POD XT or Boss GT-8

death/blackmetal guitarists usually dont use much effects at all, except on solos. reverb, delay, chorus, wah are pretty common effects on solo guitar (listen to Death (the band) for example: much chorus on the leads)
personally for leads, I mostly only change my sound a bit (more mids, little more gain, bit more bass maybe... depends) and use some reverb and maybe some delay and use no effects at all on for rythm (I play mostly deathmetal, too)

Hexer said:
it depends, there are multi-fx units out there with really good distortion sounds, most of those are modelling units though, like POD XT or Boss GT-8

death/blackmetal guitarists usually dont use much effects at all, except on solos. reverb, delay, chorus, wah are pretty common effects on solo guitar (listen to Death (the band) for example: much chorus on the leads)
personally for leads, I mostly only change my sound a bit (more mids, little more gain, bit more bass maybe... depends) and use some reverb and maybe some delay and use no effects at all on for rythm (I play mostly deathmetal, too)

hi thanks for ur advice. u said no efx on rhythm, that means, u only use distortion for death metal rhythm or just clean sound ?
im newbie and i want cheap multi-fx for practice, studio and also live (for death/black metal sound). Is "realtime-wah-pedal" nessessary in death/black metal...? :kickass:

I only use distortion for metal rythm-sounds and I use my tube-amps distortion for that (except for silent practice or direct recording where I use my VAmp Pro). btw: you need less distortion than you probably think. its the standard "newbie"-mistake (and I was guilty of doing it too for a long time ;) ). with a bit less gain your sound often gets a lot clearer and more heavy in the end because your playing doesnt get lost in the mud (especially when playing in a band)

on solos, it depends on what sound I'm going for. my "standard" solo-sound is pretty much the same as my rythm sound with more lower mids, bit more gain and volume and some reverb, maybe a little echo. I use more reverb and echo for that "hauting" sound in some slower, melodic solos.

I dont really know what a "realtime-wah-pedal" is.... I know "normal" wah-pedals and auto-wahs.
the normal wah-pedal is actually a real pedal that you have to move with you foot to make the wah-effect. this means you can influence the effect a lot.
auto-wah is an effect that basically does the same, but reacts to your picking. when you hit a note it wil go "wah" but you dont have much influence on the effect.

wah-pedals are used mainly for solos buy some guitarrists: Michael Amott IIRC, Kirk Hammet (quite a lot) or Peter from Vader.
do you know Rage Against the Machine? you may not like the music, but you can hear some heavy wah-action there (try the song "bulls on parade" for example)

as far as cheap multi-fx goes, I think you should try a Behringer VAmp 2 or Pro. its a modelling preamp. that means it simulates different amps and effects. there are better sounding units out there, but not for the same price. the POD XT and Boss GT-8 get much praise but are more expensive. dunno what your budget is
those are preamps so you can use them for silent playing through headphones, direct recording or for playing "loud" over eiter a PA (or just an active monitor for that matter) or a poweramp and cabinet

Hmm, nice info from Hexer. From my experience, better go single pedal instead of using a low range multi-fx. I've been using Zoom 505II for few years and after knowing that I don't need a lot of fx to play Metal, I shift to single pedal. For rhythm, I use Digitech Death Metal. When solo, I use the Digitech with Boss DD-3 delay and Behringer EQ-700 equalizer.

Hexer said:
I only use distortion for metal rythm-sounds and I use my tube-amps distortion for that (except for silent practice or direct recording where I use my VAmp Pro). btw: you need less distortion than you probably think. its the standard "newbie"-mistake (and I was guilty of doing it too for a long time ;) ). with a bit less gain your sound often gets a lot clearer and more heavy in the end because your playing doesnt get lost in the mud (especially when playing in a band)

on solos, it depends on what sound I'm going for. my "standard" solo-sound is pretty much the same as my rythm sound with more lower mids, bit more gain and volume and some reverb, maybe a little echo. I use more reverb and echo for that "hauting" sound in some slower, melodic solos.

I dont really know what a "realtime-wah-pedal" is.... I know "normal" wah-pedals and auto-wahs.
the normal wah-pedal is actually a real pedal that you have to move with you foot to make the wah-effect. this means you can influence the effect a lot.
auto-wah is an effect that basically does the same, but reacts to your picking. when you hit a note it wil go "wah" but you dont have much influence on the effect.

wah-pedals are used mainly for solos buy some guitarrists: Michael Amott IIRC, Kirk Hammet (quite a lot) or Peter from Vader.
do you know Rage Against the Machine? you may not like the music, but you can hear some heavy wah-action there (try the song "bulls on parade" for example)

as far as cheap multi-fx goes, I think you should try a Behringer VAmp 2 or Pro. its a modelling preamp. that means it simulates different amps and effects. there are better sounding units out there, but not for the same price. the POD XT and Boss GT-8 get much praise but are more expensive. dunno what your budget is
those are preamps so you can use them for silent playing through headphones, direct recording or for playing "loud" over eiter a PA (or just an active monitor for that matter) or a poweramp and cabinet

many thanks for ur advice :)
i got very useful info. really appreaciate it :headbang:

Hi again... :)

I went to local store today and they don't have "behringer Vamp 2" currently. They only have "behringer Vtone GDI21" for now (it's a distortion pedal).

And they recommend me for "Line6 spiderIII 15" Amp with built-in fx.
They said that amp can use both live and studio and I don't need to buy any pedal if I choose that amp.

But I'm confusing that how can I use amp for live (on stage) ???
And I see in some forums some metal bands only use Amp (dont use pedal), so why do they change one fx to other ???
(btw can i use vamp2 on stage?)

the VAmp2 (just like the VAmp Pro, POD, GT-8.......) is a modelling preamp. you can use those in a studio-situation for direct recording or you can use them with a poweramp and a cabinet OR you can use them through a PA or active monitor.

most metal-guitarists use either "normal" amps (head or combo) or a rack setup.
if they use effects, they usually add a multi-fx unit (not a modelling unit) to their setup and use that for the FX

you can use all those options (modelling amp, head+cab, combo) at home AND live AND in studio-situations

the line6 spider that they are offering you is a modelling amp, it has a modelling preamp similar to things like a POD or VAmp plus a poweramp.

when an amp is used live (on stage) the speaker is miced and the miced signal is put through the PA system, thats all. If you want to use only a modelling preamp live, it has to be connected to the PA system (no mic)

when an amp is used live (on stage) the speaker is miced and the miced signal is put through the PA system, thats all. If you want to use only a modelling preamp live, it has to be connected to the PA system (no mic)

Thanks again :headbang: