Effects Pedal Advice

Rusty

A-HAHAHA!
Sep 14, 2001
Nottingham
Okay, I have about £150 to spend on an effects pedal for a guitar. Which one would you recommend, mostly for decent distortion sound??

Depends on what kind of amp you have, really.

The Boss DS-1 is great for tube amps, to help boost the signal and help the preamp get more of it's own tube distortion. I don't particularly care for it on solid state amps.

The Boss MT-2 is pretty good for either low budget tube or solid state amps... The cheaper the amp you use it on, the better it sounds...

Any good amp shouldn't need any help to get good gain/crunch/distortion...

I'd suggest going to the store and trying out a few... It's all up to you.

Peavey Dirty-Dog sounds great. It has two distortion channels. The first one (named "lead") sounds great. The second (named "crunch") isn't that bad, but nothing compared to the lead channel.

All in all it's a very solid, heavy sounding disortion pedal. And i think it sound's a lot better than the Boss MT1.

If u'll get the chance to test it, do it.

Do you want a multi effects processor or a single effect?

If you want a multi, I think you're going to find it hard to land on one that has a great sound that you'll be completely happy with.
But you could check out Zoom's products. They produce a load of "economically focused" products.
Korg also do a few multi's that are worth considering. I read that Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and John Petrucci all use the Korg Pandora. I haven't heard it, but if those guys rate it for practicing, it's probably pretty good.

If you're going with a single effect, you'll need to decide what single effect you need the most (you mentioned distortion).
The Boss MT-2 is a fantastic distortion pedal, and it has a lot of parameters that you can affect. You can create a vast soundscape with that one pedal alone.
You can achieve a very "professional" sound with that and some decent eq.

I'd recommend checking out www.friday-ad.co.uk or similar papers. You can pick up decent effects from them at good prices, and, unlike ebay, you can go to the person's place and check it out.

I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again: Korg´s Hyper Distortion 104ds is a decent-sounding pedal. It is, in my opinion, a tad better than Boss´s MT-2 (based on what I can remember the MT-2 sounded like) - you can achieve a relatively "fatter" sound with the Korg.

Cheerio.

Just a question here about pedals... they can go through bass guitars right? I just wanna fuck my bass up a bit, and I know where i can get a cheap ass crappy pedal, and yeh, should be fun...

Look second hand, as there are a fair few good deals knocking about. You may be able to get a boss ME-5 (good solid piece of kit, won't break, nice solid metal housing) or a GT-5 if you're lucky, both of those will serve you well. The digitech stuff is good as well (RP-10/12?) , but if you can get something sturdy or it'll die. My GT-5 has lasted me close to 6 years now in various roles and is still alive despite a torrent of abuse...

I just love my Ibanez TM5 Thrashmetal Soundtank
great for all styles of metal though theres other stuff around which is more various than the TM5...........

The best pedal I`ve tried is the Tech 21 tri-OD. It is app. a million times better than the Metal Zone. Brutal as hell, should you so desire. Solid metal housing, good switch.