Sirius & XM Satellite Radio?

Jibrille

Mar 1, 2005
Albany NY
I'm trying to figure out if this has any value for me. Everyone seems to be getting satellite radio because it's got "everything." unlike standard radio. I looked at the websites for both and couldn't find anything along the lines of power or progressive metal (or even general European metal from the last 15 years). All the stations either seem to be classic, mainstream American rock/metal, or hardcore. Anyone with either service that can tell me otherwise?
Even the "electronic" stations seem pitiful. It's all dance, house, and club music. I want industrial, ebm, and the occasional trance. Not just stations where I feel like I'm at a rave.

If I got satellite radio it would be for this purpose. Not the talkshows or the sports. Completely for the music. Glancing at the websites, it still seems like a complete waste of money for someone like me. Pretty much music I can already get on regular radio just without the commercials.

I have XM and I love it. You're not going to get much as far as prog metal is concerned but if you listen to a lot of radio and like a wide range of music it is hard to beat.
As far as metal is concerned, you are right about the two channels being either fairly mainstream metal or hardcore. The hardcore channel doesn't do it for me on a regular basis but they do play alot of older Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc. The Boneyard plays mostly the standard metal bands but you do tend to get deaper cuts than you would typically find even on VH1's Metal Mania. It's not just Round and Round and Photograph type songs all day long.
Chris Jericho has a show on Sundays that is pretty good and he does play at least a couple of progpower type bands almost every week. Off the top of my head, he played Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, and I believe Blind Guardian last week.
Anyway, you can go to the XM Radio website and check it out for free for a couple of days and see if it is something you would enjoy. Make sure to give it a listen on Sunday between 7 and 9 central time.
Hope that helps.

I did not like XM radio when I tried it out. The connection in my car was bad, the reception constantly cut out, and the volume was low. The jam/prog station had just been taken off the air. I just listen to CDs - anything I'd be hoping to hear on the radio would be something I'd have on CD anyway.

I have sirius... Love it! However, IMO opinion, no satellite radio is worth it unless you spend alot of time driving in your vehicle to and from work or what have you. Its nice being able to just pick a genre and listen to it. The talk shows are nice too. You always hear the DJ's doing live interviews with bands very often as well! You can even get weather and traffic! hehehe It's great hearing things that the normal airwaves won't say/play.

Just my thoughts....:)

Now, back to PP!!! :)

I had XM in my vehicle for 3 months after I bought it, and I only listened to it a few times. There really wasn't anything on there I liked and I agree with what TychoCelchu said. There isn't any radio station thats going to be playing what I want to hear when I want to hear it. That's what my CD's are for.
Everytime the XM people called me trying to get me to subscribe and I told them "no", they were totally blown away by the fact I wasn't interested.

I have Sirius and I LOVE IT! Of course, I don't really use it for the music. It's all Howard Stern for me. If I want music, I iPOD it.

That being said, I have heard Opeth, In Flames, and the like on there. I have not heard Adagio or anything like that.

How would you like to be able to listen to any band, from any genre, any time you want, with crystal clear digital sound, from Prog to Power, Black to Death, Rock to Blues, Technical Math Metal to Thrash, etc.? Sound interesting? Read on...

If you follow any of the audio industry's publications, you may have caught wind of a new technology on the horizon. This new technology is suppose to offer better sound transmission than traditional satellite (zero signal interference), while offering infinitely more variety. While this technology currently remains unnamed, most industry-insiders have dubbed it codename "compact disc player". Apparently, with one of these fancypants "CD players" you can listen to anything YOU want to listen to, anytime you want to listen to it. Now I realize, listening to what some program director in a suit thinks you should listen to is very invigorating. Still, you have to admit, this is exciting news. I wonder what they'll think up next?

Zod

General Zod said:
How would you like to be able to listen to any band, from any genre, any time you want, with crystal clear digital sound, from Prog to Power, Black to Death, Rock to Blues, Technical Math Metal to Thrash, etc.? Sound interesting? Read on...

If you follow any of the audio industry's publications, you may have caught wind of a new technology on the horizon. This new technology is suppose to offer better sound transmission than traditional satellite (zero signal interference), while offering infinitely more variety. While this technology currently remains unnamed, most industry-insiders have dubbed it codename "compact disc player". Apparently, with one of these fancypants "CD players" you can listen to anything YOU want to listen to, anytime you want to listen to it. Now I realize, listening to what some program director in a suit thinks you should listen to is very invigorating. Still, you have to admit, this is exciting news. I wonder what they'll think up next?

Zod

:lol: Zod, you kill me man!

Sirius is way better. Chanel 27 playes prog and power sometimes and has a prog power show on sundays which is very cool. Stern is reason enough to have Sirius. Plus you can use your computor to listen, so you dont always have to be in your car.

General Zod said:

Zod
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
I bow to your ZODNESS oh holy one when will you reveal to us lowly ones the secret of life.

Zod you hit it perfectly Compact Disc Player is the way to go, any artist any time anywhere.

Here's another related question... is sat radio worthwhile for people who own and listen to a lot of cds? I mean, I like to choose my music, not let other people choose it for me, but on the flip side, it's sometimes fun to hear something new. Currently, in the car, I listen to cds EXCLUSIVELY -- no radio -- specifically, MP3 CDRs ripped from my collection at home. I can get between 6 and 8 cds on a CDR at 256K quality.

I'd like to try sat radio, but it seems like if you buy the tuner (or whatever), and then you don't like it or don't use it much, you're stuck with all this extra hardware. But I could be barking up the wrong tree here.

I have always been interested in XM, but haven't had a good chance to sit and check it out in the years of its existence. A friend of mine does have Sirius so I have gotten to check that one out, and I love it. I don't have any real interest in paying for radio considering all the amazing CDs I have to listen to in the car, but if I did I would go with Sirius. They have a MASSIVE amount of channels, and for the most part they are dead on. Of course, this is the new breed of radio, so while the songs may be uncensored for the most part they still follow the commercialized pattern layed down by FM, the selection makes it hard to refuse. I can listen to Lady Blacksmith Mambazo, Dennis Leary and Opeth in one car ride *embelleshing, but there is quite a diversity to the channels.* With the good comes the bad, obviously. Even the better stations do play bad music; That goes along with the russian roulette of listening to the radio. My vote goes for Sirius, if there was a contest between the 2. Cheers! :p

I have Sirius, but I don't use it in the car. I have it to listen to Stern while I work, and for all the sports programming (I know I'll be listening to it a lot during NFL season). I do sometimes listen to the music channels, though I do think it's lame that with all the stuff on there, they can't find room for a prog station and a non-screaming modern metal station...

dt

General Zod said:

Zod
Good stuff !! I like my Ipod setup. I've got an Eclipse head unit that has a connection especially for my Ipod. The sound is much improved over those fm adapters. Here is the novel concept ... I can play exactly what I want to hear, instead of what someone else wants me to hear :) No offense to the radio fans, but that just ain't my thing.

Britt

General Zod said:

Zod
I'm a long time subscriber to this sevice and love the great monthly rate...........:headbang:

I've been flirting with idea of getting Sirius simply because I miss hearing Stern everyday......but is it worth the price just for that???

From what I understand, if you love Stern, it's really worth the price. He's got his entire back catalog from CBS which is over 23,000 hours.
I just don't love Stern.

It would be a nice thing to have a non-internet radio station that plays a lot of prog and power music because no matter how many CDs you buy, there's always stuff out there you've never heard.

DarkTide said:
I've got an Eclipse head unit that has a connection especially for my Ipod.
I recently got a new car, and lost my Alpine with the iPod connectivity. It was an ideal setup.

I have toyed with the idea of getting Sirius, but only for Stern. However. work is only 10 minutes away and I work work from home three days a week.

Zod