Six Degrees of Swano Separation

hornblow555

Get off my putty bastard!
I already posted this on the Opeth board, but i though it was sorta cool.

Six Degrees of Swano Separation

I can link Swano to a lot of groups, not necessarily all Swedish, some of them would seem rather unlikely at first (I can find 2 separate links to Marillion, King Crimson, and Metallica as well as a link to Yes!). Well here it goes:

While working on his last Nightingale album, Dan received some keyboard help from Clive Nolan, who is in the prog rock band Arena with Mick Pointer, who used to be in Marillion.

Dan has worked with Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth on several occasions, Opeth's last album was co-produced by Steven Wilson, who has also appeared on a few Fish albums, Fish was formerly the singer for Marillion. (there is a closer link too, Wilson also produced Marillion.com)

Dan worked with Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, Opeth's last album was produced by Steven Wilson, Steven Wilson has a project called No-Man, whose albums have featured appearances by King Crimson mainman Robert Fripp (as well as Mel Collins), King Crimson at one time featured Bill Bruford, Bill Bruford was formerly a member of Yes.

Dan has worked with Peter on several occasions (EOS' Infernal, Country Girl, Rest in Pain edits) Peter has produced Enslaved's Mardraum album, Enslaved used to feature former Emperor drummer Trym, Trym is currently involved with the band Ceremony who once featured Pat O'Brien, O'Brien was once in Nevermore with former Forbidden Guitarist Tim Calvert, Tim Calvert was with both Robb Flynn (Machine Head) and Paul Bostaph (ex Slayer, ex Testament) in Forbidden

(ok, this one's got 7 links, but I'll see if I can trim it) Dan has worked with Peter on several occasions, Peter has produced Enslaved's Mardraum album, Enslaved used to feature former Emperor drummer Trym, Trym is currently involved with the band Ceremony who once featured Pat O'Brien, O'Brien was once in Nevermore with Warell Dane, Warrell Dane's previous band Sanctuary had their debut album produced by Dave Mustaine (ex Metallica, ex Megadeth), Mustaine used to be in Metallica and now Metallica has collaborated with Ja Rule (in fact, if I wasn't limited to 6 degrees of separation, I could connect these guys to virtually the entire pop music community, I think)

(For even more connections, follow the Nevermore link, for Neil Kernon, who has produced 3 of their albums plus and EP, has worked with a ton of people, including Phil Collins, Elton John, Cat Stevens, Kansas, Flotsam and Jetsam (another link to Metallica!), Peter Gabriel (that's 2 links to Genesis, the other being Phil Collins of course), Jeff Beck, the Rolling Stones, and David Bowie just to name a bunch)

There are many more that I'm aware of, this just goes to show you just how well connected these guys are!

There are some other neat routes you can take... When hitting Metallica, Kirk Hammett was a guitarist for Exodus, which featured Steve Souza, who was a member of Testament (well, The Legacy to be more specific). You can take the Steve Digiorgio link from Testament to link Dan with tons of bands such as Death and Sadus.

There's also another Metallica route that'll lead to Pantera.. James Hetfield was on Corrosion of Conformity's Wiseblood album. CoC features Pepper Keenan who is in Down with Philip Anselmo, who is in Pantera.

Dan also can be linked to the now-defunct Cynic. By taking the route that leads to a link with Bill Bruford, you can say that Bruford is on the newest Gordian Knot, which is the project of Sean Malone who was in Cynic. You also can link Dan to Death this way, because of Malone and Sean Reinert and whatnot.

Another cool link goes like this: Take the Swano to Digiorgio route. Digiorgio plays on the new Vintersorg album. Vintersorg is on Borkagar's newest, a band that used to feature Garm as the vocalist. Garm has been involved with a million things, so there's a bunch more links.

It'd be neat to find some really obscure ones, like bands who aren't prog rock or metal related.. Perhaps Andy Sneap produced an album that was mixed by a guy whose brother's sister's third cousin is a roadie for Hanson.

Heres Dan to Korn: Dan produced Opeth, who toured with nevermore, who toured with In Flames who toured with Slipknot who are produced by korns producer Ross Robinson....see Dan's really just a nu-metal trendie! lol, kidding of course....

Originally posted by wardwarf
There are some other neat routes you can take... When hitting Metallica, Kirk Hammett was a guitarist for Exodus, which featured Steve Souza, who was a member of Testament (well, The Legacy to be more specific). You can take the Steve Digiorgio link from Testament to link Dan with tons of bands such as Death and Sadus.

Actually you don't have to go to Metallica. You can go straight from Forbidden to Testament with Paul Bostaph.

I found a more direct link between Dan Swano and Metallica (as well as more links to other artists)!

Dan has worked with Mikael Akerfeldt on Bloodbath and other projects, Mikael appeared on Soilwork's A Predator's Portrait, Devin Townsend produced the last Soilwork album Natural Born Chaos, Devin Townsend has worked with Jason Newsted (ex-Metallica), Jed Simon (currently collaborating with Front Line Assembly), Gene Hoglan (ex-Death, ex-Dark Angel, ex-Testament), Scott Reeder (ex-Kyuss), Tom Hunting (Exodus, ex-Angel Witch, and who has worked with Kirk Hammet (Metallica) in Exodus), Terry Bozio [who is in a band with Tony Levin(King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment {with Dream Theater Members}, Asia, Natalie Cole, Paula Cole, Alice Cooper, Peter Frampton, Art Garfunkel, Paul Simon, Steve Hacket, Peter Gabriel, John Lennon!!!, and Yes among the more well-known names.)], and Steve Vai.

Dan to Puff daddy...Dan worked with Mikael, who worked with Devin, who worked with Rhys Fulber, who worked with Fear Factory, who toured with Deftones, who played with Foo Fighters, who played with Puff Daddy on a remix of All About the Benjamins....AHAHAHAHA...took me a bit to thiink of....

Dan to Blink 182....Dan worked with millencolin, who played once on the Warped tour, which has featured BLink 182....

you keep mentioning pat o'brian from his nevermore days, but he is now in cannibal corpse. now you are open to the entire american death metal scene and who knows who else. you get a connection to incantation and then you got the chasm, morpheus descends, mortician, immolation, etc.

dan produced the early dark funeral. you could run with his connection to peter T and how you have every band he produced on the list. he produced early marduk too, so now you have a danzig connection.

You also can link Dan to Peter T through their collaboration on the Holy Dio tribute album. But the Dark Funeral link is a little more "elite" I guess you could say.

Shit, it's quite possible that Dan can be linked to everyone in the music business. I'm still looking for that Hanson connection though.......!

Originally posted by wardwarf
You also can link Dan to Peter T through their collaboration on the Holy Dio tribute album. But the Dark Funeral link is a little more "elite" I guess you could say.

Shit, it's quite possible that Dan can be linked to everyone in the music business. I'm still looking for that Hanson connection though.......!

You asked for it!

Dan has worked with Peter on several occasions (EOS' Infernal, Country Girl, Rest in Pain edits) Peter has produced Enslaved's Mardraum album, Enslaved used to feature former Emperor drummer Trym, Trym is currently involved with the band Ceremony who once featured Pat O'Brien, O'Brien was once in Nevermore, Nevermore had 3 of their albums and 1 EP produced by Neil Kernon, Neil Kernon has worked with the Rolling Stones in the past, the Rolling Stones had their Bridges to Babylon album produced by the Dust Brothers, the Dust Brothers produced Hanson's Middle of Nowhere album.

OR

Dan has worked with Peter on several occasions (EOS' Infernal, Country Girl, Rest in Pain edits) Peter has produced Enslaved's Mardraum album, Enslaved used to feature former Emperor drummer Trym, Trym is currently involved with the band Ceremony who once featured Pat O'Brien, O'Brien was once in Nevermore with former Forbidden Guitarist Tim Calvert, Tim Calvert was with both Robb Flynn (Machine Head) and Paul Bostaph (ex Slayer, ex Testament) in Forbidden, Bostaph was once in Testament (Return to the Apocalyptic City EP), Testament employed John Tempesta for their Low album, John Tempesta used to be in White Zombie, White Zombie had one of their tracks remixed by the Dust Brothers, the Dust Brothers produced Hanson's Middle of Nowhere album.

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:D