Skyfire - Timeless Departure

SculptedCold

-scented manbeef-
May 9, 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
(meant to type this up earlier but i'm a lazy bastard, yay)

I won't deny it; the first time I listened to Skyfire I was very much disappointed and put-off. (the cool band name made this discovery all the more sorrowful) I didn't listen to them for a couple of months and then out of curiosity I loaded-up the mp3 playlist again and stuck-it out.

A couple days later, the real deal was spinning in my cd player.

Although not as obviously innovating as Soilwork, nor as popular, it's evident that Skyfire are developing a melodic death metal beast that is both far more daring and far more insistent to make it's mark than other bands' offerings that have followed in the past with similar experiments. On one side, Skyfire are still the blueprint At The Gates offering with chugging rhythm guitar and the complementing lead guitar spinning-off melodies left-right and centre. In this respect, Skyfire are no more credible than any other melodic death band for crafting a listenable dose of pace and tune, but the guitars are only half of the story literally. The other half are two constant keyboards, one of which is usually texturing the background a la Soilwork's 'A Predator's Portrait', while the other plays leads a la Children Of Bodom or Dark Tranquillity's 'Projector' and 'Haven'. Personally, I've never favoured CoB's keyboard usage and Dark Tranquillity have already begun leaving behind the keyboards on thier new album, where Skyfire differ is that the songwriting and production puts the keyboards and guitars on an equal importance and as often is the case, the keyboards become more prevalent and sometimes even alone in playing melody. Naturally, with up to three leading instruments at any one time, things are bound to get crowded and it's part of Skyfire's merit in thier debut album that they have managed to write songs that although are busy and rich with music texture, still cut through the throng with epic and cathartic melodies. The album opens with a synth only introduction that demonstrates exactly what the keyboards will be like for the whole of the album; flamboyant and superfluous. I'd go as far as saying that the keyboards themselves are original within the genre, having a twinkling, majestic recklessness that sounds like small bells ringing amongst clouds and also a brave, clean sound that almost wants to be a lead guitar. The keyboard role at the start of 'By God Forsaken' is likely to make most cringe in disgust, but it opens into one of the best songs on the album. There's little of the droning electronic synth that fades into poppiness evident in the mix, and frankly, it's not missed and not needed given that Skyfire are offering something far more impressive.
Another merit to go to these guys is that this is one hell of a consistent album. There's a thin line between consistensy and that 'samey' blurring feeling, and there's no doubt it takes a couple thorough listens to discern the tracks fully, but once you have Skyfire have the quality of a band making music that is both catchy and deeply layered. The best track is likely the title track, which has a soaring and uplifting chorus that is endlessly listenable, moderate progressiveness and the best lyrics on the album. 'The Universe Unveils' is another epic chorus offering, with multiple open-air reliefs offering lone keyboard leads, 'Dimensions Unseen' is a pacey track with galloping double bass and those majestic, twinkling keyboards I was gibbering about, while the 'ballad' of the album, 'Breed Through Me, Bleed For Me' opens in such an atmospheric synth lull as to be uncannily in honour of Dimmu Borgir's more subtle offerings.

Amongst music that is almost happy-sounding, Henrik Wenngren employs a death snarl that is more raspy than most and somewhat out of place, but in the absence of wondering what would fit better, his vocals put-across satisfactorily the darker side of Skyfire's music despite being slightly buried amidst the music. That darker side is actually also fairly original compared to contemporaries. Although some think the lyrics are in bad contrast with the music, I believe they are perfectly suited. The lifting feel to the music is representative of much of what the band writes. For the most part, they are small ambiguous tales of spirituality, nihilism and existentialism, all with a slightly depressing, dark tone that is made grand and topically substantial by the majestic excessiveness of the music. A contrast I think that works well and has a dark, artistic beauty that many similar bands lose in thier anti-religion, satanic or important-issues lyrics.

"Spread your wings, and fly away, From this, prodigal world, Have no fear, you child of mine, You'll see, your time will come." -By God Forsaken
"This time there is no turning back, Like dust in the wind I will wither away, Deep down I feel this is the only solution, As I face my haunting destiny." -Timeless Departure
"Beyond the dimensions far away from my imagination, I clear my mind and try to understand it's might, Let my lifeless body dwell in a land unknown to many lost souls." -Dimensions Unseen.

Add that to the impressive artwork and you have a very promising debut release that doesn't shortchange on emotion and feeling or technical prowess.