Slam/Death Metal mix feedback?

Aug 6, 2006
Hello,

I'd love some feedback on my mixes below. I've mixed and remixed a bunch of times and this seems the best I can do with my little knowledge. At this point I'm pretty happy but would love some feedback as to how to make slight tweaks to make them better. Maybe they suck, maybe not...?

GUITARS:
EZMix2-Metal Gods 2-Tosin Rhythm 2 Alt / Kazrog True Iron / Waves C4 / Reaper ReaEQ

DRUMS:
EZDrummer2 / ReaEQ / HeadCrusher / ReaXcomp

BASS:
EZMix2-Bass Beast-Tobin - T-Rex / ReaEQ / EXMix2 Bass with Limiter

VOCALS:
A few different EZMix2 presets till I thought it sounded good / True Iron / ReaEQ

snare a bit lacking in punch, more low mids might help. or you could go full slam and have a high tuned snare, up to you. likewise the toms and kick feel like they're a bit lacking in low end

snare a bit lacking in punch, more low mids might help. or you could go full slam and have a high tuned snare, up to you. likewise the toms and kick feel like they're a bit lacking in low end

I’ve always disliked the high tuned slam snare sound. I did a lot of EQ work to make the drums cut thru, now I think I did too much.

Not bad. But drums and bass are too weak. Drums must be humanized too, they sound too robotic.
Drums do have some humanizing added and a lot of this style of music I feel it fits. I’ve tried a bunch of different bass tones and can’t seem to find one that works. I think I did too much EQ on the drums. Still lots to learn.

I went back and reexamined my mixes, listened to the advise above and I think they are sounding much better. Defiantly thicker and fuller. I hope NOT muddy or muddier than the original mixes. I put all 3 songs on a single file below. Any and all feed back and comments welcome, thank you.

I've also completed a mix with reaper only plugins on the master bus. Sounds a lot fuller but figured I'd post it for a comparison.

Last edited:
A bit better but the snare still sounds a bit weak and thin, I think you can still probably add a bit more low end to it/maybe try to add some compression so it has some sustain to each hit. Also whilst I realize it's common to avoid having too much resonance, it does feel a little characterless so if you've EQ'd out some of the ringing of its overtones, maybe add it back in a little so it sounds a bit more lively

A bit better but the snare still sounds a bit weak and thin, I think you can still probably add a bit more low end to it/maybe try to add some compression so it has some sustain to each hit. Also whilst I realize it's common to avoid having too much resonance, it does feel a little characterless so if you've EQ'd out some of the ringing of its overtones, maybe add it back in a little so it sounds a bit more lively

I will see if I can get a screen shot of my EQ setting and post them here. Thank you for the feedback.

I've put a good amount of work into this updated mix with better bass processing, some Snare and kick tweaks as well. I have not done anything with the humanizing of the drums. Would love some feedback.

I think the snare is good now, and the bass sounds good, I would just add way more lows to the kick since it's really clicky without any oomph. sounds like the dead shall inherit by baphomet but even clickier