Slate Digital FG-X Mastering Processor

I think the trickery and 'dynamics enhancement' features of FG-X should probably be looked at as a last resort. A plug-in that's a simple gain knob is perfect for my workflow. Unfortunately I've never used Logic nor AU plug-ins in my life, so I won't be able to give this one a shot. Best of luck with it Chris.

I swear I'm hearing crackling in the left channel at least. More during the opening.

I like the sound of this plug-in (FG-X), but I really feel like it's adding/coloring high-end, as opposed to being transparent. It also makes drums punchier than they are in the mix (IMO), which is not always what I want. Plus I'm constantly worried I'm going to hear crackling in the guitars :lol:

I just tried FG-X on one my mixes from a six months ago. It sounds great when the drums are hitting away, but during the more sparse parts where it's long guitar notes, the crackling totally kicks in. You would have to automate the ITP slider a lot. That's a lot of automation.

It definitely sounds cool - it's just a lot less simple than the levelers (aka limiters) I typically use in mastering, which I've had no issues with.

The crackling in the left channel comes from a extreme heavy low-tom.
With my normal mastering setup I would only get the mix at that point to -8rms with that little artificial noise. With the Slate FX I pushed it up to -6,7rms in that part. When the vocals hit in it is near -6rms.

About making the drums too punchy. We all mixed in the last years to get a good master. For me that means +some dB to much on the snare and vocals...
With the FX you wont need to do this anymore.
When you dont touch the high-boost you wont get that over the top high-end.

Also I used the ITP on 5 or 6 and not on the top end, so the transients sound good but not too punchy.

Today I´ll try it again and then I think I´ll buy it.

Great plugin!!!

ps: I wont master the next projects up to -6rms only because I can do it with this plugin. I will master them loud but only to the point, were everything sounds stil good.

Josh just try the "match level" option in the FG-X. I can push my mixes up to -8RMS without even noticing I´m comping and clipping them...
I never demo´ed or own(ed) any plugin that was able of doing that!!!

Well the meter in FG-X is a bit deceiving, it definitely exaggerates RMS. Something reading like -7.5 or -8db RMS in FG-X is reading like -10db RMS on all my other meters, so to get a real -8 with FG-X you need to push it until it gives you like -6db RMS, and at that point you will hear it working...

The crackling in the left channel comes from a extreme heavy low-tom.
With my normal mastering setup I would only get the mix at that point to -8rms with that little artificial noise. With the Slate FX I pushed it up to -6,7rms in that part. When the vocals hit in it is near -6rms.

About making the drums too punchy. We all mixed in the last years to get a good master. For me that means +some dB to much on the snare and vocals...
With the FX you wont need to do this anymore.
When you dont touch the high-boost you wont get that over the top high-end.

Also I used the ITP on 5 or 6 and not on the top end, so the transients sound good but not too punchy.

Today I´ll try it again and then I think I´ll buy it.

Great plugin!!!

ps: I wont master the next projects up to -6rms only because I can do it with this plugin. I will master them loud but only to the point, were everything sounds stil good.
I disagree. I think even with ITP at 0 it's still increasing transients. Also, I keep all the transient enhancements at 0. That's not where the high-end is coming from. Tbh, I've tried three different mixes so far and I haven't noticed the high transient knob doing anything. The low knob, yes.

Also, I never mixed into a limiter, and I never experienced losing the drums before except when I used L2. But I haven't used that for years.

Well the meter in FG-X is a bit deceiving, it definitely exaggerates RMS. Something reading like -7.5 or -8db RMS in FG-X is reading like -10db RMS on all my other meters, so to get a real -8 with FG-X you need to push it until it gives you like -6db RMS, and at that point you will hear it working...
Yep. I noticed this as well.

I still kind of like what the FG-X does, but I'm not entirely convinced yet I couldn't get this affect with a limiter and saturation/EQ plug. I'm also constantly worried about the crackling/distortion artifacts.

I'm a Mac/Cubase guy but I can use AUs in a variety of audio editors I have, so I will have to give NC-17 a test. I'm skeptical that a plugin with only one knob can do the same thing as a plugin with far more controls, though (it simply can't, it's basically the equivalent of the gain knob in FG Level, and that's it.) What I like about FG-X is the complete picture of what it does to the sound when you use the full feature set. The intelligent loudness aspect is important but not as critical to me, actually, as imparting character and width into the overall mix.

Well- see what it sounds like, and crank it up a bit :devil:

I think all this stuff is stupid loudness anyhow, but there should be a really big difference between NC-17 and FG-X with regard to crackling and breaking up when you push it. And I do understand why you'd want the sound to be HUGE without getting crackly. It's all in which tradeoffs you make toward what end :D

Been demoing FG-X this morning. Overall, I like it. It is very important to get your mix balanced before processing it with FG-X. You have to make sure the lows and low mids are in check for best results. One down side to the plugin is that it is a CPU hog!

After a few days using it. All I can say is I love it.
I have to say I never was comfortable 'mastering' my own stuff.
I'm definitely not good at that, but FG-X made it simplier for me.
It does what I was doing before but It does better.
I think the detail process is really clever as long as you don't get carried away (like anything right?).
The constant gain monitoring is great too.
Also, I don't look at it as way to go louder. So maybe that's just me.

After a few days using it. All I can say is I love it.
I have to say I never was comfortable 'mastering' my own stuff.
I'm definitely not good at that, but FG-X made it simplier for me.
It does what I was doing before but It does better.
I think the detail process is really clever as long as you don't get carried away (like anything right?).
The constant gain monitoring is great too.
Also, I don't look at it as way to go louder. So maybe that's just me.

+1

Just curious, what plugins are you guys using that use more CPU than FG-X? My computer is pretty old by today's standards (Pentium D) but super stable. FG-X takes up about 30% of my CPU. The computer is on my list to upgrade but I generally have enough juice to get through my projects just fine.

Hey guys.. I finally got around to doing a mix especially for the FG-X demos. The reason this mix is the best yet to show off the FG-X is because I printed it with some really punchy transients that you would previously have to fight very hard to preserve, and usually end up with a major compromise.

The intention is to show that the FG-X is the most transparent tool to make a mix louder, keeping your mix sounding like.. your mix.

First the new mix of "Closer to You":

www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2MIX.wav

Now we add 8db of gain with the FG-X with ITP at 80% up.. turn your monitors DOWN:

www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2FGX.wav

Now the Ozone, this time on "clipping" as suggested:

www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2OZONE.wav

Now the Voxengo Elephant3 with preset Masters Punch, with 4x oversampling and the gain to 8db, and ceiling at -.01.. the dropouts are due to the fact that the plugin is in demo mode:

www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2VOX3.wav

Now on preset CLIPPING, same settings as above:

www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2VOX2.wav

Now on preset Transient Full, same settings:

www.slatedigital.com/fgdemo/Rock2VOX1.wav

Again, no tricks, and users of Ozone and Elephant can duplicate the settings if they'd like.

And now an open call, to anyone who would like to try to use the original mix and add 8db of gain, while matching the clarity, punch, and transparency like the FG-X does. If you participate, please post the digital plugin that you used and its settings, so people can duplicate them.

I'll be posting another demo tomorrow with a mix with very little transients to show how the FG-X performs on non rock, more ambient material. Thanks for listening.

You can download a demo of the FG-X at the slate digital website and purchase at the Slate Digital Online shop or at retailers worldwide.

few things for the metal guys:

- The FG-X doesn't like mixes that are not balanced. This means if you've got +8db at 80Hz and it builds up during a blast beat.. not gonna work. Use some Andy and Colin mixes for reference for a nice clean metal low end.

- Read the manual, get to know the controls

- There is no additional highs or upper mids added with the FG-X.. you can check this by dropping the master down 8db and comparing to the mix. By using other peak limiters that completely destroy the upper mids and high end clarity, I realize that many will assume that the FG-X enhanced the top.. It doesn't.

- Only use the Transient controls if you need it, and keep them subtle. If you have to crank them, try remixing first with the drums higher in the mix

- I am here for any questions at all

Thanks,