Slate Digital VBC - Example posted on Gearslutz

I have a few SSL compressors (old FX384, new SSL X Logic) as well as the Rolls RMS and another clone someone made for me. I also have two Focusrite RED3s, and several vintage tube compressors. My goal was to retire all of them with the VBC. Mission accomplished. Whether you agree with me however, is up to your ears... and they'll hear the VBC soon!

Cheers,
Steven

Take your time - I want to read the amusing torrent of GS threats from people taking their 'hard-earned' to your competitors. In the mean time you can bulletproof this thing, and make it more than just the 'fad of the day' most compressor plugins are.

I'm getting really exited for this, I've got my first official jobs coming up and hopefully this will bring some 2bus magic to the table.

I honestly can't make many distinctions in that context. Pretty sure I liked G the best because while I was listening to it I knew I was going to be done with the shootout soon :danceboy:

:lol: Nice one. It was kinda hard for me too. We should do our own bigass compressors shootout someday soon.

I'm pm'ing you the results right away.

Just a heads up and to be fair, in that particular shootout at the time the VBC did have a 'bug' in the auto release which also affected the attack (most definitely sorted out now). Otherwise it was one of my top picks except that the release wasn't quite right, and low and behold after the fact, discovered it was the bug causing that.

Just a heads up and to be fair, in that particular shootout at the time the VBC did have a 'bug' in the auto release which also affected the attack (most definitely sorted out now). Otherwise it was one of my top picks except that the release wasn't quite right, and low and behold after the fact, discovered it was the bug causing that.

You're right there. Another good reason to do that shootout on our own.

Meant to be out on Monday, according to Slate on gearslutz, which means a few late nights next week.

You're right there. Another good reason to do that shootout on our own.

For sure doing your own shootouts is highly recommended, as picking the right gear and/or plugin is a personal experience. But I will say, when Slate then posted more examples later with the George Lynch mix, the bug was worked out. Just based on those audio examples alone you can do a lot comparison wise, and vbc, as it is now, is stunning.

For sure doing your own shootouts is highly recommended, as picking the right gear and/or plugin is a personal experience. But I will say, when Slate then posted more examples later with the George Lynch mix, the bug was worked out. Just based on those audio examples alone you can do a lot comparison wise, and vbc, as it is now, is stunning.

Well, I just stopped by the thread to help and provide that GS test link. Right now, I have a new hardware SSL-ish compressor and I just wanted to help in case the shootout takes place here.

I don't really care about soft compressors right now, even less if they use Ilok. (Disclaimer: Don't try and make me see the wonders of the Ilok thing, been there, sold it. I quite like the concept, I just can't stand their fucking black hat policies and nonexistent customer support, not to talk about the mess over there now and then).

BTW, VBC hasn't impressed me at all after taking another more careful listening and I don't trust developers tests unless they're taped on video. Call me paranoid, I know business enough not to do such thing. I'm not saying Slate tricked us, don't think so, for me it's just a rule of thumb with anybody, whoever it is. Also, in the only real shootout made by an individual up to date (to my knowledge), VBC has proved to be shit to me. What a bad coincidence the auto release was off at the time (and call me paranoid again) but I didn't hear another shootout with the problem solved. Anyway, people in general trust hype more than blind tests, and then they say they don't trust shootouts because they only trust their ears and is a personal experience (¡?!) so I'm not changing or trying to change anybody's mind, they already made them up from what I see.

Anyway, good luck, Slate, with the release.

Well, I just stopped by the thread to help and provide that GS test link. Right now, I have a new hardware SSL-ish compressor and I just wanted to help in case the shootout takes place here.

I don't really care about soft compressors right now, even less if they use Ilok. (Disclaimer: Don't try and make me see the wonders of the Ilok thing, been there, sold it. I quite like the concept, I just can't stand their fucking black hat policies and nonexistent customer support, not to talk about the mess over there now and then).

BTW, VBC hasn't impressed me at all after taking another more careful listening and I don't trust developers tests unless they're taped on video. Call me paranoid, I know business enough not to do such thing. I'm not saying Slate tricked us, don't think so, for me it's just a rule of thumb with anybody, whoever it is. Also, in the only real shootout made by an individual up to date (to my knowledge), VBC has proved to be shit to me. What a bad coincidence the auto release was off at the time (and call me paranoid again) but I didn't hear another shootout with the problem solved. Anyway, people in general trust hype more than blind tests, and then they say they don't trust shootouts because they only trust their ears and is a personal experience (¡?!) so I'm not changing or trying to change anybody's mind, they already made them up from what I see.

Anyway, good luck, Slate, with the release.

Hey El Gato, I hear you if you didn't prefer it then that's your choice, it's cool. But to make sure vbc gets a fair shot, I want to be sure you have the chronology right for the postings. The one where the individual, Marc, posted the files is where vbc had some bugs to be worked out and clearly the attack and release, especially had some issues. The last lynch mix Slate posted demonstrates vbc with the fixes. Making sure you level match those files, put them up against some other SSL comp's and see for yourself what vbc is doing. If you aren't sure about the links for the files, I can post them. Also, if you wanted to post something here I'd be up for handling any files you want to render through your hardware. I'll do all the level match and take care of some of the other software offerings of the ssl comp.

Hey El Gato, I hear you if you didn't prefer it then that's your choice, it's cool. But to make sure vbc gets a fair shot, I want to be sure you have the chronology right for the postings. The one where the individual, Marc, posted the files is where vbc had some bugs to be worked out and clearly the attack and release, especially had some issues. The last lynch mix Slate posted demonstrates vbc with the fixes. Making sure you level match those files, put them up against some other SSL comp's and see for yourself what vbc is doing. If you aren't sure about the links for the files, I can post them. Also, if you wanted to post something here I'd be up for handling any files you want to render through your hardware. I'll do all the level match and take care of some of the other software offerings of the ssl comp.

OK, thanks for the offerings.

I'll look into those files again but, as I said before, I don't (want to) trust on files posted by devs as I think it's the case. I'll wait for our own shootout.

I'll be able to do my part when I finish my exams for the government. Right now I dismantled all my rig in order to be not very distracted and study a little. In 10 days I'll be able to, hopefully. That would be fun.