Slate Drums and Drumagog...

AudioPhile777

Mathew Cohen
I tried using the Drumagog demo and couldn't figure the thing out for the life of me... Is it a big difference using the actual program?? Time after time after time... all I get is flams... sounds almost like the gogs have a delay box on them...

Also, I heard some of the Slate samples off his site... I'm not that impressed...

I dunno... maybe I'm weird... I don't think they're crap samples, I'm just not that impressed by them to spend $200+ on them...

oh... and I've searched this forum and the drumagog forum for help and haven't made any advances...

:erk:

Try apTrigga, it couldn't have been easier to use for me. I haven't used it extensively like some guys on here, but it was cake replacing the Hammerfall kick.

-Joe

I use apptrigga.

Works amazingly and doesn't look like a control hub on duke nukem 3d unlike drumagog which gacve me nothing but problems! :lol:

+1, aptrigga is wayyy easier to get to trigger correctly and tighter at doing it, might I add.

I just wish it had the sample browsing thing happening like Drumagog does..

I use a mixture of both still.. usually aptrigga on kick/snare and drumagog on toms or even another drumagog after aptrigga if i'm layering sounds..

also, if you don't like how the sample mp3's sound of steven's drums, don't buy 'em!

I will however say, they really are great samples and I can't see how you'd go wrong getting them. Definitely some of the best samples I have to choose from.

audiophile, I appreciate you taking time to listen to the audio demos. Keep in mind you get a lot for that 200 bucks, a lot of snare kick and tom choices, as well as a free upgrade to a whole lot more of em soon with some cymbals and sampler mappings.

There are a lot of users here on the forum (including Andy Sneap himself). Some have posted some absolutely gut wrenching STELLAR mixes that use my hits that sound freaking awesome, I have a SNEAP FORUM category on my ipod now! CJs mixes are definitely in there. Maybe do some searches and take a listen, perhaps your thoughts will change.

I'm also glad to add Mike Shipley to our users list, the guy has mixed stuff from Nickelback to AC/DC to Def Leppard..

Oh and for anyone who might care, we have 6 discs that had minor print smearing that we are selling for 20 dollar discount plus free shipping, they'll go fast so go here and check it out:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/discount.html

Hey Steve, is this perpetual upgrade thing for life? Haha, it seems like you keep adding more and more things for existing users. Where will it end? It's a hell of a business tactic. Kinda reminds me of the opposite of Waves.

audiophile, I appreciate you taking time to listen to the audio demos. Keep in mind you get a lot for that 200 bucks, a lot of snare kick and tom choices, as well as a free upgrade to a whole lot more of em soon with some cymbals and sampler mappings.

There are a lot of users here on the forum (including Andy Sneap himself). Some have posted some absolutely gut wrenching STELLAR mixes that use my hits that sound freaking awesome, I have a SNEAP FORUM category on my ipod now! CJs mixes are definitely in there. Maybe do some searches and take a listen, perhaps your thoughts will change.

I'm also glad to add Mike Shipley to our users list, the guy has mixed stuff from Nickelback to AC/DC to Def Leppard..

Oh and for anyone who might care, we have 6 discs that had minor print smearing that we are selling for 20 dollar discount plus free shipping, they'll go fast so go here and check it out:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/discount.html

Whoa, didn't expect a reply from you... cool...

I've been listening to what people are doing with your samples... and it sounds better than what I heard on your site, IMO...

...but for the life of me, I can't get Drumagog to do anything but make my kick sound like they are in a huge delay chamber with the feedback on 1000000000...

So... no slate drums for me... i'll check out aptrigga... see if I can find it... maybe that'll work for me...

Does aptrigga do multi samples like drumagog?

anyone got any advice on how to make it trigger the really fast kicks?

Set the sensitivity by typing it in, use the filter, use the simple triggering mode...

I've had a much better experience with apTrigga, personally, but the only part of a kit I replace completely is the kick.

So... apTrigga does the exact same things as Drumagog?

I got all excited that I got drumagog working... I was even looking back at the Slate samples...

apTrigga works perfectly for me in Pro Tools, never any issues. I usually don't even have to adjust any settings when I load samples into it. But if you're replacing a lot of stuff, Drumagog will give you better results in the long run.

PM if you are still having issues with Drumagog. Its got a lot of settings to tweak but once you know them, you can get some great results. For metal its not as essential to have multiple velocities (and different hits per velocity) but it can certainly come in handy, and this is where Drumagog outshines Aptrigga imo.

I'm printing a new audio demo with the Adrian Ost snare sammples, they are so killer sounding, be back in a bit with some mp3s.

now... anyone got any advice on how to make it trigger the really fast kicks?

I know this is sorta going around the program itself, but what I do with either program if I have a fast part, or a section with lots of ghost notes is detect the hits and slice it up. Then I drag all the audio clips so there's just little blips on the radar. This way I can set the threshold lower without mistriggering anything. It takes a few minutes to do it, but it guarantees flawless results.

Easiest way for me has been to find a section of the drum track with fast hits like 16th note kicks or a fast tom roll....

Create a loop and let it play over and over.

Bypass Drumagog to see how many hits are there on the original track.

Then activate drumagog.

I end up adding 2dB to the Input which helps pick up better.

But mainly the whole thing comes down to the Resolution and Sensitivity Setting.

I set the Resolution somewhere between 30 and 70 for kicks. I have even gone to like 20-30 for some seriously fast blast beats before.

Sensitivity can be anywhere from -6 to -14 or so.

Basically once those seem to work out with the right number of hits compared to the original track, I just listen to the rest of the song and make sure everything works and didnt add any extra hits where they shouldnt be.

I have ran into some snare and tom issues where the wave signal was stronger for longer time and cause a double hit that you almost cant hear until you compare it to other snare hits.

Basically ended up doing a Fade out on the offending hits and the problem went away.

My settings could be all ass backwards for all I know, but I basically did what seemed to work since I can't be bothered to read manuals.

It definately gets easier to use.

If you are using consistent recording techniques you can almost apply the same settings to the next project.

Small adjustments are made based on the dynamics of the drummer and their drum kit.

I am definately curious to try what Andy does and use a trigger straight into the track without a brain or without triggering the mic'd track.

I think that will make Drumagog work a hell of alot easier.

Here is Drumagog in action with new Snare11 and Kick2 (kick2 suddenly became my go to kick samp when I saw Mike Shipley using it)... anyway, the point is this.. check out the ghost notes. What I did was copy the snare track and chop out all the hard hits only leaving the ghosts. So I had the main snare track with drumagog triggering the 2 + 4s, and then another drumagog set differently to better trigger the ghosts with the soft velocity hits. BTW Audiophile777 was nice enough to give me an update, apparently listening to the audio demos with his new HS880s (instead of his Maudios) changed his mind about the sounds of the hits. Yey. here is the audio demo:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/snare11kick2.mp3

and another

www.stevenslatedrums.com/demo/snare11demo2.mp3

if anyone has any questions about triggering the ghosts, lemme know.