Drumagog Question (answer from Slate appreciated)

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

One thing I've never experimented much with in Drumagog is the 'Auto-Align' feature. I've usually left it on as that's what Drumagog seems to default to.

I just tried running without auto-align when blending some Slate samples with natural drums and I don't know whether it's my ears playing tricks, but the drums seem to be clearer and punchier. Does auto-align commonly put the samples out of phase with the natural drums? Which one am I safer running on a day to day basis? I know the whole 'use your ears' jazz, but I'm just checking whether my ears are deceiving me or not!

Any help would be very welcome!
Cheers.

I can't turn it off?

I have "Psycho-acoustical" or "Actual peak" as options, it's on the first by default.
Furthermore there's "Optimize for" BD/General and "Snare", I usually check the latter on snares...

I put Dynamic tracking around 50% for snares and 20% for kick. Toms more dynamic.

I'm not Slate, but with any samples that I use(depending on if they were cut right) turning off auto align and turning on actual peak in the advanced tab really seems to make a big difference, especially when I look at the bounce. Its still not 100%, so I use region separation in beat detective to cut all the samples into seperate regions then turn off tab to transient so i can tab to regions, and just zoom in, go through each hit and align everything perfectly. It really doesn't take long and then every hit is on the money. Then I fill gaps and fade and when you play back I really hear a difference, especially when are using more than one sample. if you have pro tools i'd recommend trying it and see what you think.

I've never used Slate's samples(considering purchasing), but sometimes I've gotten gog's where they seem to print all over the place, and I couldn't figure out why..so i turned off all the multi-samples except for one and they printed fine, and I think sometimes people just cut the individual sampeles wrong and just makes it hard for drumagog to align them...who knows.

I have found Drumagog to work much better for me with auto-align off (although the difference seems to be less on Logic than on other DAW's, in my experiences). I think its best to go for which ever sounds tighter, maybe on some occasions one method will be tighter than the other.

I think I might start going through and lining everything up afterwards by hand just to make sure everything is bang on the money.