Slate VCC, convince a stubborn mule

I've been using it for a while now. I really enjoy the soggyness and feel it adds while mixing. Completely changes the vibe as you go, and makes the process more fun.

Regarding the end product, I'm not entirely sure whether I can objectively say that it's made my work sound any 'better'. Different, for sure, but I'd spent a long time getting familiar with making stuff work ITB. Metal in particular seems not to lose much from ITB if you're after that 'modern' aesthetic, so it could go either way.

Makes mixing rock and other genre projects a hell of a lot more fun though. Everything ends up needing less processing, and you can let the feel guide you rather than playing a numbers game all the way.

Completely changes the vibe as you go, and makes the process more fun.

This 100%. The endresult may not sound dramatically different, but it's sure a hell of a lot easier and more fun to get there. All that for a set-and-forget action makes it hard to beat.

Btw, if VTM gets a nice price after the weekend, I'm pretty sure I will get it.

Man I really wish I could afford it. But I need to get Trigger over it. I need to focus on getting all the essential plugins before I get nice stuff like VCC and VTM.

thanks a lot for recommending TBReelbus. I'm going to try it out. Hoping I'll like it and It'll make me feel better for not being able to afford VTM right now.

^ Yea, tape emulations in general tend to do that in my experience. What you can do on the Reelbus specifically is to turn off the W&F (wow and flutter) knob if you aren't specifically going for that. IIRC that is one of the main processorhogs of that plugin.

Ok, VCC is a God-send. But how are you guys configuring yours? I don't really get the change I like unless I'm hitting close to 0dbvu on the plugin. That doesn't really happen often on channels or really on the master.

Ok, VCC is a God-send. But how are you guys configuring yours? I don't really get the change I like unless I'm hitting close to 0dbvu on the plugin. That doesn't really happen often on channels or really on the master.

It should happen though! :) Ideally you want VCC to be your first, or one of the first plugins on a track/bus. Before you start mixing, make every track hover around 0vu on it (with standard calibration). If you need more than the 6db boost/cut that you can get with vcc itself, just add some volumeplugin before it.

Not only will proper gainstaging like this make many of your colourful plugins sound optimal, but it will also make your mixingtime much easier, since you don't have to use extreme settings on your faders (you know, -20db here and +15db there). Faders usually get lower resolution towards their extremes, making it more annoying to finetune them.

Just add a trim plugin before it and hit it around 0 VU or wherever it sounds good to you. On reaper I simply load reaEQ or whatever and only use the gain out or whatever it is to be in the ballpark for VCC