Slaughter of the Soul

metal17

May 21, 2002
North Bethesda, Maryland
I finally managed to get my hand on this masterpiece. I was very suprised to find it in my country, I only know of one store here that sells metal CD's, but even them I didn't expect to ever have this. I also got The Gallery Deluxe Edition, what a great double to satisfy my coming weeks. :hotjump: :headbang:

It makes me feel old to think that I enjoyed that album so much when it came out, and that it is one of the big events in "recent" metal history, acording to me :|

metal17 said:
I finally managed to get my hand on this masterpiece. I was very suprised to find it in my country, I only know of one store here that sells metal CD's, but even them I didn't expect to ever have this. I also got The Gallery Deluxe Edition, what a great double to satisfy my coming weeks. :hotjump: :headbang:

you were surprised to find this in your country?
where do you live? vatican state? :D

illdisposed did a cover of slaughter at the gates, check it out and try to find the book "the diceman" by luke rhinehart ,which is mentioned in the booklet.

Yeah that album was kind of the turning point for me. Metal used to be an interest, but after hearing that album it became a way of life for sure. It was funny cos I got the Red in the sky is ours and With fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness before I layed my hands on this master piece. Looking back I probably prefer With Fear I kiss the Burning Darkness, but it's a totally different style to Slaughter of the Soul.

Slaughter of the Soul has the best riffs of any metal album. Anyone want to dispute this? :)

King Chaos said:
Slaughter of the Soul has the best riffs of any metal album. Anyone want to dispute this? :)

24834.jpg

Accept - Balls to the wall (1983)

Bolt Thrower - any album

Primitive and effective riffing, just great... ;)

I don't think you can speak of a single album with the best riffing. But - to be honest - I don't think that In Flames can be in front. they did great songs, but somehow I wouldn't give any IF album more than 8 out of 10 points (including "Jester Race"!) because there are always great, unbelievable highlights but always some songs which are really average... Just my thoughts.

The thing is with At the Gates, Its just all about the Riff. The only band I get a similar feeling with is The Forsaken and Maybe Corporation 187. Kind of like the riff is the song, and everything else orbits around it - Particularly stylishly with Slaughter of the Soul. With inflames there's alot of rhythm guitar just filling out under the vocal parts. Dark Tranquillity have a good mixture of every element, like some songs you feel the riffs are central to the song, some it's the electronics, some its the vocals. Perhaps this is why I favor them, more variety in their focus on timbre.

Schwedentod said:
Bolt Thrower - any album

Primitive and effective riffing, just great... ;)

I don't think you can speak of a single album with the best riffing. But - to be honest - I don't think that In Flames can be in front. they did great songs, but somehow I wouldn't give any IF album more than 8 out of 10 points (including "Jester Race"!) because there are always great, unbelievable highlights but always some songs which are really average... Just my thoughts.

what is average on the jester race and whoracle`?????

Jester Race:
- Graveland
- December Flower

Whoracle:
- The Hive (instrumental, in parts uninspired as well as Whoracle at the end...)
- Dialogue with the Stars
- Worlds Witnin The Margin

Note that I still think that these Songs are great, especially the ones of Jester Race, but average compared to the highlights on these albums (Artifacts of the Black Rain, Moonshield, Lord Hypnos, Jotun, Episode 666).

Schwedentod said:
Jester Race:
- Graveland
- December Flower

Whoracle:
- The Hive (instrumental, in parts uninspired as well as Whoracle at the end...)
- Dialogue with the Stars
- Worlds Witnin The Margin
Note that I still think that these Songs are great, especially the ones of Jester Race, but average compared to the highlights on these albums (Artifacts of the Black Rain, Moonshield, Lord Hypnos, Jotun, Episode 666).

hm my absolute highlight on TJR is the title track. best in flames song ever togetehr with jotun
the "weakest" songs on TJR are IMO the 2 instrumentals.tehy arent bad but I never listen to them
same with instrumentals on whoracle.
but tjr and whoracle are one of the best melodic deathmetal albums ever(of the 90s)
together with slaughter of..., the gallery, the minds I

eh.. The Hive isn't instrumental... you mean Dialogue with the stars ;) the hive is a cool song from whoracle. together with Jotun the best i would say.
And December Flower is the best from TJR together with artifacts of the black rain.
that's so cool :)
white as the down of the flaking snow...

the riff isn't among the better on the album, i agree with you there, but the rest of the song is brilliant.

suidice nation is among my favourites as well, together with the title track, blinded by fear, under a serpent sun and nausea. and since the two instrumental tracks are awesome as well there isn't too much of the album left after that, really. :p

at the gates fans might be interested in this, btw:
http://homepage.mac.com/soulrot/terror.html