Slaughter of the Soul

Delirious said:
the riff isn't among the better on the album, i agree with you there, but the rest of the song is brilliant.

suidice nation is among my favourites as well, together with the title track, blinded by fear, under a serpent sun and nausea. and since the two instrumental tracks are awesome as well there isn't too much of the album left after that, really. :p

at the gates fans might be interested in this, btw:
http://homepage.mac.com/soulrot/terror.html

Ha that's awesome. I especially liked destruction. Short and sweet. Doesn't sound much like Jon Nodtveit though (Assuming its the dissection guy).

Yeah, At the Gates, the forefathers of modern swedish melodic death. I love them dearly, especially Terminal Spirit Disease (Forever Blind), but also Slaughter...

As for riffs - check out any good stoner rock band, or the almighty Necrophagist!!

in an interseting side note, if you read the thanx part of the Jester race, after mentioning ATG, there's a funny reference to "unto others", "my judas window stays shut, for roger moore"

Slaughter of the Soul was a decent album but I do think it's a bit over-rated. I bought it about a month ago (after having already heard most of the songs) and enjoyed it but I just didn't pick up a lot of emotion from the music, nothing that really made me say "Wow, this song is incredible". I'd definately pick Terminal Spirit Disease over this one if it came down between the two albums.

One of the most boring,bland uninspired metal albums ever. You can tell why the band broke up after. It sounds like none of the members are into it wanting to do something else. I've not heard their early shit but I'm guessing it's better and have heard so by others.

The Greys said:
One of the most boring,bland uninspired metal albums ever. You can tell why the band broke up after. It sounds like none of the members are into it wanting to do something else. I've not heard their early shit but I'm guessing it's better and have heard so by others.

Ouch... Well I beg to differ on all acounts except maybe that their earlier albums (WFIKtBD) are maybe fractionally better. Judgeing from your sig I'd say you were an opeth fan... so I can understand why you'd think such a masterpiece is bland (cos, although I'm merely assuming, I reckon you believe the world begins with Opeth and ends with Opeth (or maybe Edge of Sanity) ).

The Greys said:

oh man... you can't be serious. judging something that you don't know and/or only know by hearing from others is an act of pure stupidity. just think about it.

well I dont think that the band broke up because of this album was crap, boring ...
interesting is just that after the band broke up SLAUGHTER became such an mystical touch and the people recognized that one of the masters of melodic death metal are gonne and the gates are closed forever
anyway if they come back for some gigs would be cool like accept do this summer
But I dont wanna have a new album.
does anybody knows the coverversion of slaughter of the soul by illdisposed?
there is this "tribute to at the gates"-sampler in prodcution since some years, I hope IN FLAMES would be on this cd(as they covered blinded by fear) and perhaps DT?

hm I googled around and found this.

"GOI MUSIC und DROWNED SCREAM RECORDS present a tribute to a swedish deathmetal legend:

"Slaughterous Souls - A Tribute to AT THE GATES"
Featuring:
TAETRE (Sweden) - At the Gates
GODHATE (Sweden) - Kingdom Gone
MÖRK GRYNING (Sweden) - Neverwhere
MOONSKIN (Israel) - Raped by the Light of Christ
DARKNESS BY OATH (Basque Country) - The Swarm
SOUL DEMISE (Germany) - Forever Blind
ETERNAL OATH (Sweden)- The Fevered Circle
ETERNAL GRAY (Israel)- Blinded by Fear
ILLDISPOSED (Denmark) - Slaughter of the Soul
ENTER CHAOS (Poland) - Cold
DETONATION (Holland) - Under a Serpent Sun
MISANTHROPE (France) - Suicide Nation
PAGANIZER (Sweden) - Nausea
VILE (USA)- Cold (live cover)
Bonus Track:
IN AETERNUM - Blood Run from the Altar * GROTESQUE cover

misanthrope, wow these french band is very unique

i've had this tribute on my comp... before windows fucked up my mp3 drive (it was simply suddenly gone... now it says it doesn't have a partition table -> thx microshit). the best cover is imo Neverwhere. most of the covers are pretty cool except some... like soul demise (crap production?) and the blinded by fear cover ("ooooh this song is so boring, that's why i sing it like this BOOOOORIIIIIIIIING"). blood runs from the altar also kills!

Blitzkrieg Pajo said:
oh man... you can't be serious. judging something that you don't know and/or only know by hearing from others is an act of pure stupidity. just think about it.

How about you actually read what I said.

King Chaos said:
Ouch... Well I beg to differ on all acounts except maybe that their earlier albums (WFIKtBD) are maybe fractionally better. Judgeing from your sig I'd say you were an opeth fan... so I can understand why you'd think such a masterpiece is bland (cos, although I'm merely assuming, I reckon you believe the world begins with Opeth and ends with Opeth (or maybe Edge of Sanity) ).
Hmm. Opeth are one of my favourite bands, and I think At the Gates are rubbish and I haven't heard a single interesting song by them. Hit me too? :p

solefald said:
well as were are speaking of slaughter of the soul, here we have the selfproclaimed succesors of at the gates AND metallica :darkest hour

just check this out:

http://www.victorypresscenter.com/UndoingRuin/

nice try boys

these guys really have big balls to promote their new album in this way.cool teaser but hey I dont think that darkest hour will make THE album of the decade

I actually watched the kind of E-Card this morning at work....just ridiculous. Like the : "Once every 10 years ; a ?&* true cult album is released. This time...be prepared. It's judgement day."

I already thought they were trying too hard by going over to Sweden to record at Fredman's....having Anders Bjorler, Peter Wichers, Tomas Lindberg and Marcus Sunesson. Nice attempt...but still is metalcore.

I don't think they're bad...it's just there exist other ways to show your influence other than cloning, kidnapping members for your album.

Rusty said:
Hmm. Opeth are one of my favourite bands, and I think At the Gates are rubbish and I haven't heard a single interesting song by them. Hit me too? :p

Yeah but no ATG...prolly' no Opeth. I don't know any other band in Sweden that had so much influence on the following years.

I read an interview with one of The Haunted guitarist..dunno who (Probably Anders Bjorler)... that when Slaughter came out. They received a call from the In Flames dude. They said they wanted to borrow their amps, pedals, misc equipement to reproduce that killer sound. No wonder they're in the Thank you's on Jester Race.

Make_Baby_Jesus_Cry said:
there's a funny reference to "unto others", "my judas window stays shut, for roger moore"

Still pretty funny haha