Slayer and the critics

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Yeah you can play the solo to Angel Of Death note for note no doubt.

Kerry King has said before in interviews that he doesn't even remember how to play his own solos and never put much time into them in the first place. He gave the impression that his soloing is all quite random, frenetic playing, especially on the older stuff. Though I'm not sure who does the solo on Angel of Death, I couldn't care less because the solos almost always sound terrible anyway and I never liked Slayer in the first place. I always found their music boring, even stuff like Killing Fields and Chemical Warfare never really held my attention. If I want to listen to classic thrash or speed metal, I'll put in Rust In Peace.

The problem with the Slayer haters out there- is the fact they are all guitarists - that get off on perfect solos. Slayer's solos merely fit the mood of the music they were playing in the beginning- ( Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven) Those frenetic solos give atomosphere to the songs. Still, how many bands created the riffs Slayer did? How many bands have ripped off a slayer riff? I cant remember a classic riff from any prog metal band.

And I love Tom Araya's singing- but I do have to agree his singing on God Hates Us All took a little time to get used to- I like it now- he sounds like Petrov from Entombed.

Finally, do we even need perfect solos in metal? Metal is supposedly about rebellion and aggression- two things that dont go well with perfection. The punk imperfection aspect of Slayer is what made them so much better than any other thrash band.

I find most of Slayer's music sort of tame, actually. I've listened to alot of fear factory and sepultura, so Slayer don't really have any curveballs up their sleeves.

Their lyrics have bothered me a bit, so I don't own any of their albums. I was considering getting Seasons at one point.

GHUA, I'm going to avoid. Too much bad karma. It came out on 9/11 for gosh sake. That's creepy.

Actually, so did Uncivilization by Biohazard. And the original presing of Live Scenes in New York by Dream tHeater(had burning NYC on cover). Veeeerry creepy...

I think slayer is a kinda of band that you either get it or you don't. I think they fucking rock and having seen them live 2 times, I can tell you they fucking kill. The guitar work is genius if you ask me, killer riffing and songwriting and the spontaneous out of key cranked up soloing is what sets them apart from the bunch, sorry if you don't like it, you obviously don't see what metal is all about, The drumming and the singing is top notch too, the lyrics are BRILLIANT!!!

Finally, you owe it all to them!!!All hail slayer :loco: