Slip editing distorted guitars

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Now, take it easy, I've seen THIS video, but the guitars in my track are decently distorted, and it is to the point where I can't see my transients in the visual image of the sound file.

It just looks kinda... wavy.

So I could use a little help from anyone with knowledge of how to slip edit these types of sound files.

oh, and the tracks are near-perfect, I'm just a perfectionist. ;)

Record a DI signal. Slip edit the DI signal then reamp. You can slip edit the DI and the recorded amp (group them) with some success, because you can clearly see the pick attack in the DI, but you wiill probably get some artifacts in the amp recorded signal if you do that.

Record a DI signal. Slip edit the DI signal then reamp. You can slip edit the DI and the recorded amp (group them) with some success, because you can clearly see the pick attack in the DI, but you wiill probably get some artifacts in the amp recorded signal if you do that.

This is exactly what I do.

Yeah you can't really do much with a distorted guitar track because you can't see fuck all.

And that becomes so clear when you have a DI signal and a recorded amp signal grouped together. The amp noise can kick in like 50ms before the actual pick hit. so it is pretty much a guessing game if you only have a amp signal to work with

I just record DI's, monitoring with a PODxt Pro, but only record the DI. The DI then goes to PODfarm in my DAW when playing back. I edit the DI tracks, still monitoring with PODfarm of course, and then reamp later, or just stick with PODfarm. So far it has been a great workflow for me.

Still kinda new at this, how do I go about recording a DI signal when going straight thru pod?
Working all digital here.

I use a DI box.

Guitar>DI>Out to interface input + Thru to PODxt

The the PODxt's output is going into an input on my interface so you can hear it.

I do this as well. Helps a lot with chuggy kinda stuff and if you dropping in pinch harmonics etc.