SM7B vs. SM57 (ahjteam follow up)

Jan 2, 2012
I realize there was a video showing there was a very small difference between a SM7B and SM57.

The video shows that fact

My question is whether you have found a large difference, in other sorts of recordings, i.e. recording screams, guitars, drums.

Just need some thoughts or opinions!

(My plan is to buy one or both. I actually only have a condenser at the moment.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that someone took the time to do this. Here's some info from the actual sure user guides.

sm57_sm7b_specscompare.png

Even in the demo though I don't think they sound the same and the transient response is pretty different IME. They are both great mics and certainly different enough to justify buying both.

Its the boost in the 2-3k range is why I love it for vocals. Thats where I make my cuts in other instruments to let the vocals shine through

Did anyone tried them if they cancel out if you put them at the same spot catching the same sound? you know... the way they test if the mics can be used as matched pair. I know they can not be used as matched pair, but I'd like to hear how big the difference is.

Did anyone tried them if they cancel out if you put them at the same spot catching the same sound? you know... the way they test if the mics can be used as matched pair. I know they can not be used as matched pair, but I'd like to hear how big the difference is.

There are lots of cab impulses with both these mics. That's a quick way to test the theory.

also, mic graphs are are made by testing response at 1 meter unless otherwise noted. That 150Hz rolloff for the 57 could be +3dB at 1 inch distance.

Interesting.

To be honest, I preferred the SM57 with the SM7b pop filter on it.

I've always be of the mind set that the SM7b is a glorified SM57, like the guy in the video says. It sounds great, mind you, but not so much more great that it's worth $250 more, which is the reason I've owned 3 and ended up selling them all. It does have a slightly different flavor than the SM57, but if you're using the 57 correctly, the differences are quite subtle.

Still, I thinking of getting another, just cause people seem to request it a lot when tracking vocals, and using a 57 for vocals looks dumb :p

There are lots of cab impulses with both these mics. That's a quick way to test the theory.

:dopey: Thats right :eek: why didn't I thought about it right away.... stupid me...

anyway... would be interesting to hear their difference also on other sound sources(vocals maybe). but that might be hard to set up. it's not so big deal though.

I've always be of the mind set that the SM7b is a glorified SM57, like the guy in the video says. It sounds great, mind you, but not so much more great that it's worth $250 more, which is the reason I've owned 3 and ended up selling them all. It does have a slightly different flavor than the SM57, but if you're using the 57 correctly, the differences are quite subtle.

You're insane. The difference between these mics on vocals and hi-hat are HUGE.

I'd be interested to hear a shoot out with an SM7B and a 57 with the transformer removed. I've always heard a 57 with no transformer is a poor mans SM7B. I loooooove my transformerless 57 for screamed vocals. It's a bit lower in gain and smoother than a stock 57.

I have to agree with Jeff on this one. I have both and I can tell you the difference is pretty significant. I love the SM7 on Vocals, the 57 not so much, I love the SM7 on Hats the 57 not so much. Anything that needs to be a bit crisper I use the 57, anything that I think needs to be tamed a bit in the highs a bit(hats, 16"&18" floor toms, ride bell, vocals) I use the SM7. 57 is my go to for Snare top, 10" 12" & 14" toms, guitars and Kick (beater side).

Think this video is worth adding to the debate. Big difference in bottom end, but you could EQ that. Otherwise, SM57 really holds its own.. if you use it right.