small, few channels quality interface

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Guys,

Besides the RME Babyface and the Apogeed Duet, what other small interfaces (with two channels, maybe more, but 2 channels is OK) would you guys recommend for being good quality ones ?

Shit, both look sexy. How is the preamp and the D/A conversion on these things?

The TC sounds great & the pres/di is very usable. Haven't heard the current Focus line. I just have a bad association with them from having to maintain a dodgy ISA console for some time. I've analyzed a handful of interfaces with a D-Scope & the TC holds it own in comparison to other high end conversion.
It's somewhat of a non issue these days. Pretty much all Prosumer interfaces are better then say the stock Digi 888/24's from just a few years ago & countless albums we consider "great" where tracked/mixed with them.
The feature set of the interface will have a greater influence on your sound & it's hard to beat TC in that area as well.

Ok, anyone used the Focusrite? From what i've read, both are a step below the Duet / Babyface (of course, the price tells so too :) ), but do they sound just like those crap M-Audio Fast track or are a step above it ? I need something that won't be so much of a step down my FF400.