small rooms sound small! large rooms glue,moving air needs,or however to name this

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
hell-o mates.
It sucks major ass when you spend alot of time and effort in a recording and then, during mixing, realize that you have only like 70% of what you could have due to some fucking room!

in this case i wanted to record guitars to one of our new tunes, i didn't/couldn't use the major studio, 'cause i was recording another band in there and every room was packed with percussion-crap (live-recording with like 10 percussionists, bass, vox, piano, special instruments (kalimba, marimba etc).

so i chose to put my stack in the small vocalbooth of what we call "studio B" (it basically is just our office, which is used for some surround and video-stuff, commercials etc....), but it's got that small vox-booth to record some spoken stuff etc.
this fu**** thing sounds like a sauna!

it's about only 1-1.5m^2 and really shut (nothing comes in nor out, neither sound nor air.
and that's the important thing.
when you cranck your amp inside of such a small room there's alot of air moving it doesn't really matter whether you're micing close or not, there are areas of compression and rarefaction overlapping and creating a mess (imagine like a small bucket of water you stirr with a powerfull mixer).
of course that afects the mics membrane as well.

the result is: the guitars sound really small, pushed and narrow and they've got that nasty characteristic to them that will let them stick out in your mix, you can do whatever you want, they won't fit in.

it anoys me so much, that i'm gonna grab my entire stack and rack again (within the next weeks when i've got the time) and record it again in a bigger room.
that's where re-amping comes in handy, i wish i would have recorded the dry signal!!!

here's a little clip showing you what i'm talking about.

i like bass and drums though, but hate that nasty narrowed and weird character the guitars have going on.

small rooms suck

just a ruff-mix of course, as i said, i'm gonna re-record the guitars anyway, so.....

:puke:

sounds good to me, a little grindy but i like it that way.
sure theres much to improve with proper eq and maybe
a sparkling breath of reverb.
was it a rectifier ? and hey hows your old drummer anton doin,
i met him once at a party in hamburg.

IMO, you can get the sound you want from a small room, but you have to cover the whole room (or at least most of it) with absorbtion material -> when you have a dry dead sound you can always add reverb or even better use some impulses for that purpose, when you have the small room sound in your recordings you'll have a hard time masking it with eq and reverb. Check out my thread
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252025
and the sample of my beringer in the wardrobe :)lol: ...no boxyness though)

http://cmusicforum.com/sw/samp_jensen_sm57.mp3

edit: other than the small room your guitars sound pretty nice :)

thanks, cool thread.
but i think the problem is not reflections or the dry sound, but just the trapped air inside the booth.unfortunately you cannot mask that.
the room was covered in total and absolutely dead, it's just that a 4x12 moves some air, and that has to go somewhere;)
if not it's like 10 russians pulling on either side of the mics membrane ;)
of course the mic's in trouble then ;)

trym: which band are you talking about?
;)
this is a newer subcutane tune, sub's never had a drummer called anton, nor had incubator or witchbane, and that are the only bands i play/ed in:headbang:

maybe i got his name wrong, yeah he drummed for witchbane and subcutane for a fact. he was friends with "treiber", thats where i met him. and played with mayhem like 15 years ago or so. nightstalker was his synonym with witchbane.

yepp, emil ;)

Nightstalker_08.JPG

I think there was a way to create an impulse which corrects the room sound... so you can get rid of the bad room sound and add another from a better room!
But I don't think that this really works in practice! ;)

and I like the guitarsound though it could be "wider"...

trym^^ said:
s
was it a rectifier ? .

you're 1/2 to 1/4 right ;)

it's 2 two tracks of rectumfrier pre and 2 tracks of my custommade pre in SLO-Clone mode, going into mesa simul 295 into engl v60 miced with sm57.
guitar: robin medley ash body maple neck emg 85 with 18 volts.

on wednessday i'm finally re-recording it, can't wait ;)

LSD-Studio said:
you're 1/2 to 1/4 right ;)

guitar: robin medley ash body maple neck emg 85 with 18 volts.

Now that's a long name, has she starred in a soap opera :lol:
(no offence to your guitar :p)

Is the 18V mod worth? Coz I'm getting to used of my EMG85 sound and need something new... which brings the sound a little step forward if you know what I mean!
Maybe I should try using higher voltage on the TS!

18v is not like a totally different world, but it's got some more clarity and headroom, so i'd say it's definitely worth the 1€,50 for a 2nd battery and a batt.clip.

all my emg-equipped guitars are setup for 18v, i'd highly encourage everybody to do that "mod".
actually emg does even suggest it.

If I got more space in my guitar! Or I have to build a phantom power box!

I have to look at the schematics maybe 9V intern and 9V phantom would work with a stereo cable... but I'm too tired to think about this at the moment!

just read the technical data! I think duncan livewire always run with 18V expect the Dave Mustains... IIRC from EMG and Duncan the 18V thing is described in the FAQ...