Snare reverb dilemma.

Alphanumeric

Jul 12, 2013
UK
Hey,

I'm in that awful void of flicking through reverb after reverb, and not finding a verb I'm totally happy with.

My favourites in my folder so far are Valhalla room "large room" model, but the top end is somewhat annoying after listening for more than a few measures.

I also have Valhalla Vintage and the chamber model is damn stellar, but totally not for snare.

So, what do you guys suggest? The lexicon bundle and UAD is out of the question, or anything well into the hundreds of dollars.

Here is a reference of what I like in a reverb, albeit very exaggerated.

Cheers :headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
How much processing are you putting on the reverb send? It may take filtering and/or EQ to make a snare reverb work.

Sorry if it's completely obvious for you, but seeing what you said about not liking the highs of a particular reverb sound with the snare, I immediately just thought "why not simply filter the highs out?"

The "proG reverb" (i think it's called like that) of freeverb3 is pretty nice. You gonna need to tinker a bit with it though

Andy and Colin use D-verb. That shit comes free with pro tools. There are plenty of good reverbs out there. I always come back to the bricasti and d-verb tbh.

As has been asked a few posts up, how much are you processing the reverb?

lopass.do it.

if there isn't anything in the bricasti responses you can work with you gotta work on processing.
Maybe your snares are too top end heavy and that sets off for too shimmery reverbs.

lopass.do it.

if there isn't anything in the bricasti responses you can work with you gotta work on processing.
Maybe your snares are too top end heavy and that sets off for too shimmery reverbs.

Funny had this same problem a while back.
You always lopass ur snares or just for this problem? If so wheres a decent starting point? or the sweet spot

BTW just heard your first label release mix ..Sick ! What stood out the most was the snare!

Thanks man!
I ment lopassing the reverb (I mostly use Dverb so I just do that within the plugin) on the FX channel.

Sometimes I can help to lo pass the signal that goes into the reverb though. I had that problem once with toms. They all sounded the same, but that one triggered off some weird splatty reverb that wasn't even audible in the dry signal. So putting the lo pass before the reverb on the fx send can help sometimes.

Lo pass on the snare really depends on how it is sounding and what you're going for. Especially with bleed you can't boost the highs to no limits anyway, so I recon anything above say 10k can be considered pretty useless anyway in that scenario. Really depends on the snare though.

Thanks man!
I ment lopassing the reverb (I mostly use Dverb so I just do that within the plugin) on the FX channel.

Sometimes I can help to lo pass the signal that goes into the reverb though. I had that problem once with toms. They all sounded the same, but that one triggered off some weird splatty reverb that wasn't even audible in the dry signal. So putting the lo pass before the reverb on the fx send can help sometimes.

Lo pass on the snare really depends on how it is sounding and what you're going for. Especially with bleed you can't boost the highs to no limits anyway, so I recon anything above say 10k can be considered pretty useless anyway in that scenario. Really depends on the snare though.

Makes sense thanks man!

Thanks man!

Makes sense thanks man! :kickass:

I agree on lowpassing the verb. I use valhalladsp vintage verb as my go to. time around 1.5sec (set it to work with the tempo of the track), room size to taste, lp at around 8k, and then try an algo like the plate or one of the others that doesn't sound too overwhelming. Sounds cool to me :) I also really love the option to switch between 70s, 80s and modern. In my experience, there has always been one clear winner for the situation.

Don't forget to try out different stereo widths or mono on your channel. 100% stereo imo is just way too much for a snare verb.

Just use valhalla room. Open the plugin. mix. profit

I actually messed about more with the large room and went full ham into the weird xover/mult knobs, cross/rate/depth just made things sound more weird, obv tailored as they were stock to the large room verb type. Sounding better now.

How much processing are you putting on the reverb send? It may take filtering and/or EQ to make a snare reverb work.

Sorry if it's completely obvious for you, but seeing what you said about not liking the highs of a particular reverb sound with the snare, I immediately just thought "why not simply filter the highs out?"

After the verb I'm EQing with EQuality in analog mode since my digi mode/eqs mess with the modulation. Taking out the high end above 7khz, and the low end below 200, a very wide very shallow boost (like 0.5db) from 1 to 5khz, then 2 GR compression with LA2A, slow attack slow release.

I don't know how big your budget is, but the Native Instruments Reverb Classic (RC24 and 48) are fantastic and get that sort of sound.

Also thanks, I really love that song you used as a reference. Going to go check out more!

valhalla vintage plate, room, chamber, ambience and some of the new algo's in particular are awesome on snare. really learn the plugin more and EQ the return if you are close but not quite there.

that song you linked would be one of the last things i'd personally copy, nothing wrong with it as such but its a sound everyone can do at home with pod farm and superior.