Snare rolls in DFHS

EddH

New Metal Member
Sep 12, 2007
I'm not a greatly profound user of DFHS, but it seems that a realistic drum roll is hard to achieve? Short of either using the sample roll that comes with it, (which is useless in my opinion!), or sequencing in individual 128th note hits and alternating each individual velocity, there has to be a reasonable way to do this?!
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but any help would be nice!

There are many ways to do it:

1) Play the drums with a midi keyboard in realtime and then adjust any small mistakes by dragging the midi notes around.

or

2) Hand-place the drums with the mouse and then adjust the timing by disabling Snap-To. Then you can freely drag them around as much or little as you need to. Try zooming in.

or

3) Tweak the built-in midi stuff from the drum program.

or

4) Play the midi drums in with an electronic drumkit.

or

5) Whatever way you can think of :)

Actually it's not very unreasonable to click it all by hand. I do it all the time and it doesn't take too long.

I'd actually say that it takes me the same amount of time to program 10 drum tracks that it takes a drummer to set up, mic, soundcheck and record 10 tracks.

Another possible way:

1.) Take a cheap mic and play the snare track ON it, you may also record yourself beating at anything that's got a good percussive sound (strong transients).

2.) Use the KTDrumTrigger to convert the signal to MIDI, connect the output to DFHS.

3.) To get even more realism: record left and right hand with two different mics, DFHS should have separate samples for left-hand snare.
You could even try to hit some thin metallic surface with one hand and something deep-sounding (e.g.: cardboard filled with a pillow) with the other. Then use the freq-filters of the KT-Trigger.

I don't think a realistic roll is hard to achieve at all with manual programming. Especially if you are mindful of the mechanics of a fast snare roll. You can tell when a drummer is doing solid alternating hits and when they are bouncing the stick a little - you should be able to hear such things in programmed drums too.
I often do rolls that try and emulate the bouncing stick effect. Instead of alternating right / left hits, I do 2 or sometimes more hits in a row for each hand, alternating, that quickly drop in velocity. Keeping everything below 60-70 and sometimes even below 40 for the "ghost notes" or whatever you want to call them, makes things sound alot more real. I also use rhythmic spikes in the velocity to sort of simulate the natural tendancy for a drummer to do so.

For example, I might start a roll with a right hand hit at around 70-80 velocity, then draw another hit for the right hand right after that one (a 32nd note maybe) and have the velocity at around 40. Then a hit from the left hand at around 60 and a second at 40, so on and so forth. I've built up some pretty realistic rolls by doing that. You can draw in a whole measure of a snare roll in just a minute or two, tweaking things a little if it sounds unnatural.

I really think the best sounding hits in DFHS are the light ones. Lower velocity and more compression during mixing takes the cake for realism. At least in my opinion.

That's grand, cheers for the comments, I guess I'll stick with sequencing them in like always! I just thought maybe I was overlooking a feature on the progrm.
But I got to say, the idea of playing it in on a midi controller seems somewhat flawed, because your fingers can't do all the bounces and jazz that a stick would do, so you would inevitably end up going back and doing a load of manual sequencing anyway.

this is exactly the reason we have multisampled one handed rolls, which when played back and forth makes a genuine roll. Soon my friends you'll be able to program them WITH cymbals!