Snare sound (feedback needed)

Djabthrash

Aug 26, 2007
Paris / Montpellier, FRANCE
Hi guys !

Been checking this forum for a couple of months (been learning TONS of stuff there) and here's my first post.

Basically, like many of you i have my "one-man band" at home and i'm trying to get a decent production step by step by using "ghetto to top notch" gear :)

Here's an old song i recorded a long time ago (if i'd record the guitars nowadays it would sound way better : no sloppy playing, decent tone...). At now i've just tried a new snare (using Fruity Loops for the drum programming so far) for my song and i want to know if it sounds good or not.

Here is the song with the new snare :

http://gabriel.nodet.free.fr/enemy%20down%20-%20song%202%20(eq%20master)%20(w.%20slinky%20snare).mp3

Here is the same song with my "old" snare :

http://gabriel.nodet.free.fr/enemy%20down%20-%20song%202%20(eq%20master)%20(w.%20normal%20snare).mp3

I prefer the new snare personally even if the old one sound decent to me... Anyway I'd like to know your opinion/feedback about it.

For your info there is some EQ + reverb on the snare (i used the same settings for my new snare than the ones on my "old" snare). No compression of any sort on drums or on the master... just a slight Eq on the master ( see here : http://gabriel.nodet.free.fr/GabmasterEqCUT.jpg )

Feel free to give feedback about the rest also (song, production, etc). Sorry for the few parts that are clipping.

I like elements of both of them, but neither really sound finished to me. I think the new snare sounds best but needs more top end in my opinion. Like more 6k or somewhere in that area.

I like elements of both of them, but neither really sound finished to me. I think the new snare sounds best but needs more top end in my opinion. Like more 6k or somewhere in that area.

Thanks for the feedback... I kinda think the same but needed some external point of view... (even if i'm not experienced yet to determine i could eq in the 6k area precisely...thanks a lot for this... i gives me somewhere to start frequency-wise (i'm still very unexperienced about frequencies... especially in the mid/high range (i understand low range a bit more since i had to eq my drums in Fruity Loops before bothering about bass and guitar sound) )

I'm gonna try the EQ thing you suggest on the new snare, and maybe also try blending the 2 snares together...

Mentioning blending 2 snares together... how do you it (noob moment here... ) ? :

-use one track for each snare sample in your Daw, using the same "midi events/score" but messing up with eq/volume of both to avoid phase issues and get the best result (emphasizing what you like in each snare sample) ?

Or

-kinda "merging" (fusioning) the 2 samples together to create a unique snare sample (is that possible or am i totally noobish here ?) ?

Those who blend snare sounds (and there are a lot on this forum)... how do you do it ?

OT : Is my English correct or too "ghetto" ? :) If it's too ghetto feel free to correct me when i'm wrong (even for slang stuff... even if slang should not be relying on rules especially) :)

I don't really have a preference. My entirely honest opinion, is that both of them sound basically just like raw snare tracks and still need a lot of processing in order to sound more like a legit modern metal snare. Neither of the snares actually sound bad, though...it's just a matter of doing the processing. Some further EQ, as well as some proper compression to get that "smack" and you'll be doing a lot better!

I don't really have a preference. My entirely honest opinion, is that both of them sound basically just like raw snare tracks and still need a lot of processing in order to sound more like a legit modern metal snare. Neither of the snares actually sound bad, though...it's just a matter of doing the processing. Some further EQ, as well as some proper compression to get that "smack" and you'll be doing a lot better!

Thanks...

Time for me to start messing up more with EQ-ing and learn all that drums compression thing !