SNARE thread - EQ, compression etc...

This threads awesome help for me! :D

We should make a kick thread too. i really to work on my kick and snare....

Well in two words I can sum up my solution to any problems with a kick sound - sample replacement! ;)

id appreciate a gojira or periphery/bulb styled kick drum, just something full sounding. obviously itd need eqing etc. but yeah, i cant seem to find a decent kick sample :(

Wow you cut 200hz & 100hz?

Where's your beef??

I don't really like beefy snares. I prefer cracky ones, lots of slap and smack.:lol:

You can hear my snare at my soundclick if you want.

I really just posted what I think I remember. Haven't looked at my settings for a long time. Feel free to correct me.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but I think that giving pointers in mixing snare is pretty specific pointless, because the sound radically depends on too many variables like:

- The tuning of the snare
- The materials of the snare
- The heads of the snare
- The snare dampening
- The size and type of the snare
- The drummers playing style and touch
- The mics used
- The micing techniques and positions used
- The style of sound you want to accomplish
- The amount of sample replacement you will use
- The samples used
- The musicstyle of the song
- The other instrumentation used on the song
- The sonicscape of the song
- The arrangements of the song

Only thing I can say, is that make it loud. Be it rock, metal, pop, hiphop, reggae, electronica, folk, jazz or anything. The snare (and maybe the kick) are really the only non-genre dependant thing that you really need to hear clearly from the drumkit. For example if you listen to radio at really low volume, the only thing you pretty much hear clearly is the lead vocals, maybe lead melody and the snare.

well, I'm here, but I can't really add anything that hasn't been said. Well, maybe I can reiterate some things..

- if the snare itself doesn't sound the way you want it to with your actual ears, there is no magic way to transform it into something its not. When I was sampling my snares, I spent most of the time getting the snares to actually SOUND perfect. Forget the mics, it all starts with the drum itself.

For capturing a snare, I usually like to use an i5 taped to an AKG 451 or KM84. Then I'll add some overhead micing to add to the snare depth, as well as room mics.

For mixing, you guys have already nailed it. I enhance the nice things about the snare and I take away the not so nice things. Use your ears not your eyes when you tweak a snare... and as I've always said, "don't be a pussy with eq". For compression, tailor the attack so it lets the transient in, and then let the release hang on to it for just a little bit. It really doesn't need much compression to get some extra snap, 2-4 db usually does it.

I like mixing real ambience with a bit of digital reverb tail. Be aware that eqing the ambient mics and reverb returns is very powerful to the overall sound of the snare.

I would honestly recommend to everyone who is having trouble with a snare, to rent or borrow a snare, and just practice. Practice tuning, micing, mixing... Experiment. It'll be fun.

Wow, that was a quick response! Seriously, thank you so much for the tips! Every time I hear your snares in mixes I'm pretty much blown away. I ordered 3.0 btw

For capturing a snare, I usually like to use an i5 taped to an AKG 451 or KM84. Then I'll add some overhead micing to add to the snare depth, as well as room mics.

I will definitely try this technique next time I have some mics like you mentioned available to use!:headbang:

sometimes I'l m compress the bottom snare REALLY hard with a rather fast attack, set up a gate on the bottom track as well (triggered by the top-mic), that gives me a lot of "KCHSCHHHHHH".
then bussing the compressed bottom and unprocessed (other than perhaps a small notch to get rid of ring) top to the snare bus and treat it with comp/EQ.

Sounds cool! What Gate plug in do you use for the sidechaining?

Oh, I forgot one damn important thing:

Tom-tracks!

Don't edit them out, if the drumkit was recorded proper you can feature the snare a lot with the tom-mics... Usually you have to lower everything but the hits a couple of db.

Voila - much more glue, much more organic drums.. less artefacts from nasty crashes bleeding through fill ins cause the crashes are already there :)

Sorry for the necrobump... but this is so badass:kickass:

^ Yep, totally agree. I'd never dream of cutting the spill out of my tom tracks. I just automate where the tom isn't being hit down a 5 or 6 dB.

I'd also like to say that boosting 150hz in your snare tracks often yields better results than boosting 200hz. In fact I'm usually cutting between 200 and 300 to get rid of mud and that horrible boxy sound.

^ Yep, totally agree. I'd never dream of cutting the spill out of my tom tracks. I just automate where the tom isn't being hit down a 5 or 6 dB.

I'd also like to say that boosting 150hz in your snare tracks often yields better results than boosting 200hz. In fact I'm usually cutting between 200 and 300 to get rid of mud and that horrible boxy sound.

This thread is pure win! Thanks!

Any idea how to get Lamb of God kinda sound? I always ALWAYS big fan of LoG kinda sound. Sacrament and Wrath is my most fav. The snare sound's snappy but still has body with really beautiful decay/ring. I have Chris Adler sign snare sample from Mapex site but its far from his sound like on album.

I just got it because of the snap/body sound. It is a really nice snare when tuned right. Oh and plus, Chris Adler is an awesome drummer... He makes it all look so easy??!

EDIT: Back to subject, It would be a good test to see if I could get the same (LoG) sound out of my old snare... hmmm