snaremic-shootout m160,57,906,414,184,421

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
Here's a small micshootout you might be interested in.

Mics are:

m160
sm57
md421
km184
c414
e906

the mic was placed above the rim, pointing to the middle of the head in one sticklength distance.

I Know that's not the typical micing position, but I thought this would give a nicer overciew and would make it more comparable.

chain was: API-->apogee. no post-processing

snare wasn't tuned 100% or anything, I just wanted to quickly capture the differences of the mics

My favorites are SM57 first, then km184 then c414. And considering the price of those last two, putting them in such a dangerous place is tricky, and being condensers, they'll catch more of the hi hats and rest of the kit. The e906 and md421 sound very bad to me.

My favorites are SM57 first, then km184 then c414. And considering the price of those last two, putting them in such a dangerous place is tricky, and being condensers, they'll catch more of the hi hats and rest of the kit. The e906 and md421 sound very bad to me.

yeah, my favs are 184, m160 and sm57. (imagine the warm 160 on top combined with the 57 or 184 for the "crack"....might try that on one of my next projects

+1

I like the mids and highs of the sm57 the most. However, I like the low end of the km184 more.

The highs of the e906 sound to me the way those of an sm57 would with a 96kb/s mp3 compression.

I expected more from the 421, tbh.

Thanks for taking the time to make this comparison :worship:
Any plans on something similar with toms?

+1

I like the mids and highs of the sm57 the most. However, I like the low end of the km184 more.

The highs of the e906 sound to me the way those of an sm57 would with a 96kb/s mp3 compression.

I expected more from the 421, tbh.

Thanks for taking the time to make this comparison :worship:
Any plans on something similar with toms?

np

don't have a tom in the studio atm

the tom-comparison will have a D2 in there as well then though

Yeah, definitely add the d2, although after reading what you and Brett think about it I'll definitely order some, once I have the money. I'm also interested in how different mics would turn out for floor toms, most of all I wonder how kick mics would sound in that scenario - I know a d6 sounds awesome but I would like to hear a beta 52/akg d112 or even some cheap stuff like the pg52.

I got a little carried away, I guess, a normal tom comparison is just fine :saint: