Warwick-TS808-Recto-SVT Classic MIC SHOOTOUT!

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
here's asmall mic-shootout.
I didn't tweak the amp or mic-position in any way, so don't expect great sounds. (just straight in the middle, about 5-8 cm from grillcloth (to maintain an equal distance with the sm7)

chain: warwick vampire-->ts808--Y2ch Recto---Ampeg SVT classic 4x10

contestants:

sm7
sm57
md421
c414
D6

I like the sm57 best for distorted mid-growl/blend with DI I think.

with distortion I don't like the D6 at all, but I guess it'd be the perfect mic for clean deep-fat-low Bass

mics

I really like the growl of the SM7 on the distorted cab here to be honest. I think it'd sit best with some rhythm guitars, filling out that slightly lower midrange region, ala Chaosphere. The tone on all of them strikes me as a bit on the loose side. I was hoping the recto would have more focused, tighter and beefier distortion. I suppose with bass distortion it's all about the post-processing, eh?

I really like the growl of the SM7 on the distorted cab here to be honest. I think it'd sit best with some rhythm guitars, filling out that slightly lower midrange region, ala Chaosphere. The tone on all of them strikes me as a bit on the loose side. I was hoping the recto would have more focused, tighter and beefier distortion. I suppose with bass distortion it's all about the post-processing, eh?

ah, I'm just reaming and using totally different settings (a bit more focused).
but yes, I wouldn't use it like this, I'll have the sansamp for the main tone, the DI+sublows for the ultra lows and the distorted recto track HP/LP for the midrangegrowl...cuts really nicely through the guits

When you say 'sansamp for the main tone', does that just mean you'll run the DI via the Sansamp driver? Are the sub-lows just copied and low-passed from the main DI track?

Thanks for the shoot-out btw. I'm liking the SM7s character most on distorted bass.

When you say 'sansamp for the main tone', does that just mean you'll run the DI via the Sansamp driver? Are the sub-lows just copied and low-passed from the main DI track?

Bass is probably the instrument I've got the least of something like a "go to method". I'll probably do it 100% differently on the next project...but yes, at the moment I'm using the Sansamp mostly fullrange (perhaps a HP/LP at 40-60Hz and 6-10k...depends...more often than not nothing and IO'll just LP the Bass-Bus.

on the DI I'll just use Cubase tonic (parallel to the sansamp) with the mix set to 100% (so I only get the really low lows) and the third track will be the HP/LP recto track (HP somewhere between 400 and 700hz I guess...LP between 2k and 4k...depends.

all three tracks are bussed to a group and treatedall together with comp/EQ

Cool pretty much how I thought - thanks for clearing it up. Though there's one last question if you don't mind... is your Sansamp track the DI track, or do you actually use a clean DI along with a Sansamp DI along with a Recto dist track?

Cool pretty much how I thought - thanks for clearing it up. Though there's one last question if you don't mind... is your Sansamp track the DI track, or do you actually use a clean DI along with a Sansamp DI along with a Recto dist track?

both being used parallel.

bass into sansamp.

sansamp-out->DAW
sansamp LINK-out->DAW

so the "DI" is just the plain signal, the "sansamp" is the sansamped signal.

I'll reamp the plain DI through the Recto then

(usually I was using a H&K Tubefactor fo that, gives a smoother distortion)

so three track in total

one fullrange (sansamp), one sublow (DI) one midrange (recto)

Awesome, cheers. Clear as mud.

How do you find the Sansamp for adding grit? What do you feel it adds to the bass tone overall with your methods of using it? Just a clearer, less muddy raw DI signal to use for the core of the bass?

Awesome, cheers. Clear as mud.

How do you find the Sansamp for adding grit? What do you feel it adds to the bass tone overall with your methods of using it? Just a clearer, less muddy raw DI signal to use for the core of the bass?

nah, the sansamp is actually a fully analog bassamp-emulation., so (if you want) it sounds quite different from the DI (check the files posted earlier) . it's cool for adding distortion as well

I wouldn't wanna live without the BDDI, it end up on ALL my projects in one way or another

I wouldn't wanna live without the BDDI, it end up on ALL my projects in one way or another

Have you tried Tech21's SansAmp VT Bass?

Don't know if it's really that different from the regular sansamp (I don't have one)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr8kdWpB3U4&feature=related[/ame]

the only one that I'd avoid is the D6. the 421 is cool even without the sansamp or DI.

and all the others have their own character and sound heavy for sure, too.

maybe the 57 [even if nice] is not the best choice to go with the guitars, but it's up to you in the end to find the right combo.