Grunge/dirt/alt (Recto+Marshall)

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
yooo...
some of you have downloaded the drums already, here is the song:

Grungystuff

again, I'm not looking for comments about the songwriting or the musicians (which btw know that the beginning bit sounds like Nirvana ;) ).

The goal was to have it gungy and dirty ...
all real of course, no samples etc...lots of sludgy room mics (see my sample thread),
harware compressors, tons of API goodnes (Hardware and API) and lots of AC1 and AC2.....

tell me what you think (anyone who says the mix sounds too metal will get banned!! :D)

RH-Guits are Gibson LP through Rectifier (modern, bold, tubes) into Marshall v30-> m160 and sm57 (the sm57 about 20dB lower).
Overdubs: HWY1 Strat into same amp

Crunchy bit (where the panned vox are): Gibson Joan Jette into Marshal 2203kk (just the stock 2203 section), same cab+mic.

Bass: Warwick Jazzman into Ashdown Amp and Ampeg SVT cab miced with c414 blended with PSA1.1 track

Vox: c414XLII-> API->LA Audio Classic CompressorII->Apogee AD16x

Hey man,

Boiling in here today, so I'm just gonna fire off a brainstorm if it helps, first impressions:

-Guitars are way too fizzy for this genre. Needs way more meat. AIC, Nickelback, Disturbed, Paramore etc. all good references.
-Drums are cool and natural, but I think they could still use a bit more clarity and punch. OHs are a little painful.
-It feels like there's a bit of a cloud going on at the mid-bass/low mid frequencies. I think the kick is overlapping with the bass too much.
-Good job staying away from the 'metal' sound for this mix. It's much more important to diversify than to always get it 'right' IMO.

Anyway, I look forward to how this shapes up. Priority for me would be a reamp of the guitars, they are definitely the low point of the mix IMO!

hm...referenced the guits to Nirvana and actually added some fizz to match the tone (they were warmer/thicker before).
I think Paramore, AIC, Nickelback etc is much too clean for what I'm trying to achieve, I was going for the oldschool dirty grungesound like Nirvana etc....
...I'm loving the guits for this, lol.

but I agree with the cloudyness and the kick/bass...
I'll work on this later and update the link, thanks for the comment

Sounds good dude, but tell those bastards that they wont get away with stealing the intro riff and drums from Nirvana - In Bloom

I mean both the drums and guitars(are played backwards but still). That is NOT ok! :D

I think the main issue in the lowmids is the toms. I'm not hearing TOO much of an issue until they come in.

Overall the mix is kinda scooped. Drums are really scooped, guitars are fizzy, bass is just in the low-end.. More mids IMO.

Personally I would have (don't know if its possible anymore.. this drummer sounds like a really soft hitter) gone in more of this direction with the drums, a natural/roomy but punchy sound:

But then I don't really listen to this music at all so I wouldn't know much. Your vocals sound amazing though, really really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
true. i can't hear a single rimshot in the song... wait no, there was one at around 60% length :heh:

it's the way the drums are played

oh and the outro sounds real thin with the slap bass.

I think the guitars are too scooped but I like the fizz!!!
I would lower the vocals like 1dB (or as you said one cunt hair ;) )
The bass is not full enough for my taste (and I like grunge :p )

drums are great, but the snare is missing some punch IMO
(I would push the 240hz area with the waves api eq, and use some compression with slow attack and fast release)

cheers

thanks for your comments....you're all not thinking oldschool enough ;)

anyways...I've updated the link with a bit more y2k compatible mix (more direct mics).

thanks for noticing how kickass the vocalchain sounds....I'm loving my LA Audio compressor to death ;)

I like it dude! I love grunge, the best grunge is old skool grunge! I don't see whats wrong with the guitar sound, grunge isn't meant to be smooth like Nickelback or Paramore, it should be like this is!

The thing is in order to get the 'real' grunge sound you've gotta be mixing off 2" on a board. The analogue summing and tape warming is essential to pull these sounds. Straight ITB doing this will always sound like an imitation. At some stage you have to embrace the strengths of the medium, and for better or worse, the strength of digital is to do perfect, soulless mixes. Either that or get a copy of Nebula and a server farm to run all the tape/console emu programs you'll need! :D

All the same I think Lasse has done well here. Really cool hearing people leave their comfort zone and actually do something that sounds different. Much much cooler than hearing the same mix across 3 different records.

The thing is in order to get the 'real' grunge sound you've gotta be mixing off 2" on a board. The analogue summing and tape warming is essential to pull these sounds.

My little experience with tapes was a hell. I think in 1998 did the last demo on tapes.
BTW, are they still on sale? I mean not cassettes, but 1" and 2" tapes.

I'd agree with Ermz to an extent in that I think the guitars do need a bit more chunkiness to them. Not like the tones he was suggesting but just a bit more of a beefed up version of what you've got, I like the fizzy top end in the guitars here though, it works.

Personally I think the mix could be a lil' more dirty, it still feels a bit clean cut, if mixes were like people then it'd need to have a bit more of that ripped jeans, greasy hair, haven't washed for a week aesthetic. :heh:

Öwen;8804444 said:
I'd agree with Ermz to an extent in that I think the guitars do need a bit more chunkiness to them. Not like the tones he was suggesting but just a bit more of a beefed up version of what you've got, I like the fizzy top end in the guitars here though, it works.

Personally I think the mix could be a lil' more dirty, it still feels a bit clean cut, if mixes were like people then it'd need to have a bit more of that ripped jeans, greasy hair, haven't washed for a week aesthetic. :heh:

yeah, I had it quite a bit dirtier in the last version...cleaned it ip a bit (less room, more close mics etc)

In my opinion is the BD a little bit to spongy and to loud ^^ try something like the old bad religion stuff ...
On the guitars must be a little more dirt, like Big muff or something .. is a little bit too clean ..

greetz
Cyx:D