So Anton Maiden is dead...

AcesHigh

Sep 25, 2002
Novo Hamburgo, Brasil
probably you guys already know it... but for those who dont...
the poor guy commited suicide. If you doubt, do a search in sites with news of metal.

did some of you bashed him back when he was discovered and his songs were online?? Shame on you!!

ANTON MAIDEN Found Dead - Nov. 11, 2003

A Swedish IRON MAIDEN fan who became a cult figure on the Internet after posting highly original and amusing versions of classic IRON MAIDEN songs on his web site has reportedly been found dead following his disappearance a week earlier from his apartment in Hässleholmen (Borås).

The Swedish daily newspaper Borås Tidning is reporting that no foul play is suspected in the case, leading to speculation that Anton Gustafsson's death was self-inflicted (as a deterrent to publicity-seekers, the Swedish media generally does not report on suicides unless it involves high-profile individuals).

Gustafsson (a.k.a. ANTON MAIDEN) (Photo#1, Photo#2), who was 23 years old at the time of his death, found himself one of the very first stars of the international DIY (do-it-yourself) Internet music era four years ago when his unique versions of classic IRON MAIDEN songs ("Run To The Hills" mp3, "Number Of The Beast" mp3) landed him appearances on Swedish national TV (view Anton's hilarious 1999 segment on the Swedish TV program "Sajber" here) and in newspapers around the world. A subsequent CD release (view cover here) was made available in a limited edition of 1,000 copies and has since become a much-sought-after collector's item.

The CD, which featured 11 IRON MAIDEN songs sung in Anton's inimitable karaoke style, was recorded on his home computer using free MIDI files of classic IRON MAIDEN songs that he had downloaded from one of Scandinavia's MIDI-module metal web sites, the Iron Maiden Sound Archive.

Not everyone appreciated ANTON MAIDEN, though. In an interview in the Swedish newspaper Expressen published in June 2000, Anton told journalist Martin Carlsson that IRON MAIDEN fans "think that my interpretations are a disgrace to IRON MAIDEN. But that was never my intent."

Nasty comments in the guestbook on his web site eventually contributed to Anton's decision to put an end to his "career" as ANTON MAIDEN. "It just feels silly to continue," he told Expressen. "There will be no more records, [and] there's no point in trying to convince me [to change my mind].

Man, I downloaded the mp3s... and all I can do is laugh...

Ok, don't take me as an insensitive guy, I'm very sorry the guy killed himself but this is ridiculous. What is this world coming to? Do you mean I have to say this crap is good just because he commited suicide? The man must've been not a stable individual in order to kill himself, as any suicidal is. But that SHOULD NOT make us say that what he did "musically" was good... That's called hypocrisy and I will not take part of it.

Black Dragon said:
I need more than blabbermouth to say that before I'll consider it to be accurate. Something like a local obituary.
in the official forum they gave the link and the news printed at Sweden (or was Anton Norwegian??). Also, it was already reported 3 days before his death that he had gone missing. The police found him dead alrady.

Soul O (Solo) said:
Man, I downloaded the mp3s... and all I can do is laugh...

Ok, don't take me as an insensitive guy, I'm very sorry the guy killed himself but this is ridiculous. What is this world coming to? Do you mean I have to say this crap is good just because he commited suicide? The man must've been not a stable individual in order to kill himself, as any suicidal is. But that SHOULD NOT make us say that what he did "musically" was good... That's called hypocrisy and I will not take part of it.
I don't think anyone ever said Anton's "music" was good, that wasn't the point. You either thought he was funny, or you thought he was ridiculous. He was a freakshow, no doubt, but I still laugh like hell whenever I listen to his version of "Can I Play With Madness"! I'll definitely miss him, I would've loved to have heard him do "Paschendale" and "Dance of Death"!

I remember when he posted his first MP3s on Usenet... people hailed him as a genius! Then the web morons got on his case, and fried him. Cunts.

Mark said:
I remember when he posted his first MP3s on Usenet... people hailed him as a genius! Then the web morons got on his case, and fried him. Cunts.
Hehe, an old usenetter. I used to be on that back in the day.

duckattack said:
I don't think anyone ever said Anton's "music" was good, that wasn't the point.

Really? Check these two posts:

AcesHigh said:
did some of you bashed him back when he was discovered and his songs were online?? Shame on you!!

Mark said:

Basically, what these two posts say is that you CAN'T say he sucked. Why? It's the truth.

Just because someone records himself singing badly out of tune (and breath) some songs, people have to hail him? Crap. He sucked.

Too bad he killed himself. But that doesn't change the fact that he sucked as a singer. A life was lost. But lives are lost everyday, people kill themselves everyday and people die everyday.

If everyone who can't sing killed themselves... this would be a pretty empty world...

Basically, my point is, don't hail the dead JUST because they're dead. And don't hail the living JUST because they're alive either. A person to be hailed, must deserve it. Otherwise, it's called hypocrisy.

Soul O (Solo) said:
Really? Check these two posts:

Basically, what these two posts say is that you CAN'T say he sucked. Why? It's the truth.

Just because someone records himself singing badly out of tune (and breath) some songs, people have to hail him? Crap. He sucked.

Too bad he killed himself. But that doesn't change the fact that he sucked as a singer. A life was lost. But lives are lost everyday, people kill themselves everyday and people die everyday.

If everyone who can't sing killed themselves... this would be a pretty empty world...

Basically, my point is, don't hail the dead JUST because they're dead. And don't hail the living JUST because they're alive either. A person to be hailed, must deserve it. Otherwise, it's called hypocrisy.
I'm pretty sure that if you asked Aces or Mark, they probably wouldn't say that Anton was a good singer. That wasn't the point.

duckattack said:
I'm pretty sure that if you asked Aces or Mark, they probably wouldn't say that Anton was a good singer. That wasn't the point.
yes, Anton sucked. But he was great for his suckiness. He was such a lousy singer that I would roll in the ground laughing. Did you ever sung in a karaoke?? NOBODY is there to sing like a real singer. And nobody will bash you if you can sing like the original singer. The fun of singing is the important. And that was what Anton was about.