So how was the gig last night?

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Sorry I could not make it.
The wind storms from a couple days ago knocked over a portion of my fence! Spent a while putting it back up last night.
Dog ran away, but came back, blah, blah, blah.......

Anyhow, how was the turnout? Setlist? Pictures?

Show went okay, needless to say being a Tuesday resulted in a small crowd but we had a good reaction, and some good friends showed up in support. I have some pictures from last night that I'll try posting later when I have some time. I know some other people were there taking pics too, maybe they'll post 'em too.

Setlist was the standard one we've been doing lately....

The Pale Haunt Departure
Not The Strong
With Rue And Fire
Autumn Reflection
Lost In A Day
In The Absence Of Grace
Dark World Burden

Hi Larry. I'm glad I made it out to the show. That was my first time at The Note. I never know what to expect at unknown venue locations. It was good to see you guys, though. Dark World Burden ROCKS my socks. :kickass: There weren't a whole lot of people there but there were several others taking pics. My shots are already up at my site if you want to have a look http://www.eyesoffyr.com/music/novembersdoom/060314.shtml. I hope you guys play another local show this year. A Sunday night show at Joe's would be cool. :) I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!

The Note is an okay place to see bands. Not particularly suited for death metal bands really. Debris Inc. were really entertaining, they even did a small set of St. Vitus tunes towards the end, and ended with a Fear cover. It was good fun watching them and getting to talk with Ron again.
The stage is a decent size actually, it wasn't too bad. I could actually hear our vocals through the monitors so that's a rarity.

wildfyr said:
Hi Larry. I'm glad I made it out to the show. That was my first time at The Note. I never know what to expect at unknown venue locations. It was good to see you guys, though. Dark World Burden ROCKS my socks. :kickass: There weren't a whole lot of people there but there were several others taking pics. My shots are already up at my site if you want to have a look http://www.eyesoffyr.com/music/novembersdoom/060314.shtml. I hope you guys play another local show this year. A Sunday night show at Joe's would be cool. :) I'm looking forward to seeing your pics!

Thanks alot for taking the pics and showing up, we needed the support. So many people always ask when we're going to play but then have a million excuses for not attending, so it was good to see even a handful of supporters.

I can almost guarantee that we'll be doing more Chicago shows this year. Again alot of it depends on whether we can get people off their asses and actually come out to support. When you don't pull enough people in, the club owners and promoters get a bit weary about booking more gigs for your band. And eventually, if that keeps happening, you run out of places to play especially around here. The last couple of Chicago area shows we did in '05 had decent turnouts so hopefully we can manage that again. I don't think you'll see us doing any more weeknight gigs though, unless it was something really special. Weekends fare much better, needless to say.

Larry,
I would have loved to be there, but a late show on a Tuesday night in the city is rough. I can't really come stumbling into my house at 2AM while my 19 month old daughter is sleeping......

I always wondered why ND hasn't been on many bills with larger out of town touring bands. There are plenty of HOB gigs for example that you guys would fit on quite well.

I think that could expose you guys to a lot of people who are unfamiliar.

Hell, I have been in Chicago my whole life, and just got into you guys early last year....

If only it were that easy....

Getting on those HOB shows or opening slots for touring acts has nothing to do with how talented you are, how well you fit in musicially, or even if you have a record deal. It's all about connections and having an "in" with whomever is promoting the show/tour. This is why you'll often see the same bands opening for every show you go see, because those bands have the right connections. It's something that we've lacked for a while now and I'm working on trying to get our name out there more in hopes of making those necessary connections, but it's not easy. ND don't have much of a reputation for being a known touring live act, so it's harder to convince these promoters to put us on the bill, when they'd just as soon put their buddies band, or whoever, on the bill that they know they'll get to play cheaply and draw a bunch of their friends to the show. This is also why it's imperative that we get as many people out to the shows that we do play, because if they see that we don't draw a crowd, then they're not going to put us on that killer tour coming through town, understand?

We don't expect people to show up to every single gig we play and especially when it's a Tuesday night we can understand the troubles people have with it. I'm just saying quite honestly, not directed at you Jasonic, but generally we receive so many messages and emails from people asking when we're going to play, and why we don't play out more....but then it never fails, a majority of those people always wind up missing when the show actually happens. It's a real morale killer, and it makes it harder to convince the band to continue booking these shows consistently. Hey yknow it's all part of the biz, I've known this for years and years, but it gets harder and harder to play to empty venues as the years go by. So anyhow that's why I made the comments that I did and why it's a touchy subject for us. I appreciate the support that people give us by picking up our cds and posting comments on forums and stuff, it's all helped us. But when it comes to playing shows (which I love to do, and wish we did it constantly) we need that support from people actually showing up and making their presence known. If that would happen more regularly, then I think we stand a chance of getting some more presigious gigs later on. Otherwise those gigs will always go to the high school local band who can pull out 100 of their local buddies and school friends at every show. Promoters (or at least, most of them) care about how many people are going to show up and pay their fee and buy drinks, not about whether or not a band fits musicially on the bill or would make a logical choice artistically. That's why I have tremendous respect for those promoters who do take chances and book bands based on talent and logic artistically.

Novembers Paul said:
I was home by 12:30, and i'm in the burbs.

I thought you guys weren't going on until like 11?
Did you take off after your set?
I would have probably stuck around for Debris Inc too.

Larry - I know what you mean about connections. I agree that there are certain local bands who seem to get favored.

Anyhow, sorry I missed the gig. I can completely understand your guys frustration as a band not getting a good turnout.

100_2159a.jpg

100_2165a.jpg

100_2168a.jpg

100_2171a.jpg

100_2172a.jpg

100_2174a.jpg

100_2177a.jpg

100_2179a.jpg

100_2199a.jpg

Indeed really nice shots!!..:)

Personally i prefer a smaller gig then one were you get crushed between the crowd,i've seen Arcturus back in Octobre,and they played on a small stage too,there wasn't much ppl either,it all gives a more personal and intimate touch,between the band and the crowd..imo..

Edit: Just on a side note..i guess you guys won't do any European gigs..right?

Hey Tom, yeah Jess took them, and I think our friend Melissa might've snapped a few too. It was with our cheapy digital camera, so I had to do some editing and fixing up later on myself. These were some of the better shots.

Angeleyes, in answer to your query, we have every intention on playing Europe. We were supposed to be there this past October, but....rather than rehash that whole story, let's just say, it didn't happen. It's an almost certainty that we'll be there performing in the future, most likely around the time the next record is released.

We don't mind playing smaller venues and smaller gigs, as long as we have an enthusiastic crowd to play for. Noone likes playing to a near empty club. We've had our ups and downs in the past with this, but at least I can say that the majority of gigs we've done in the past year or so have been worthwhile.

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Angeleyes, in answer to your query, we have every intention on playing Europe. We were supposed to be there this past October, but....rather than rehash that whole story, let's just say, it didn't happen. It's an almost certainty that we'll be there performing in the future, most likely around the time the next record is released.

We don't mind playing smaller venues and smaller gigs, as long as we have an enthusiastic crowd to play for. Noone likes playing to a near empty club. We've had our ups and downs in the past with this, but at least I can say that the majority of gigs we've done in the past year or so have been worthwhile.

Thanks Larry i apreciate your comment :) Wouldn't it be more easy for you and the guys to reach a bigger crowd when ya go on a tour with...let's say 3 or 4 other bands,or play on summer festivals for example? I don't know ok,i haven't got a clue how it works for bands..
I hope you guys come and play in the Netherlands..preferable near Amsterdam..:) In the mean time waiting,I can let myself grow into your music..;)

@Fubar: NO! They won't come to the UK,cause you and a bunch of friends doesn't make a crowd..now does it!!! :Smug: ;) j/k
Now!! You and Paul both get of your dead asses,cause mine seems already to get kicked and see if ya can find Tomer...Paul i'm holding you responsable if i can't sit for a week,THE WHOLE THING WAS YOUR IDEA..AND IT'S GETTING OUT OF CONTROL...DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

We'd love to play on more tours and summer festivals, especially in Europe. Unfortunately it still comes down to the promoters wanting us to be there, we can't just book ourselves onto them because we want to. Logically we'd be playing to more people on a package tour or a festival, but the promoters of said events won't book us on there unless they feel we can draw a good crowd. Plus when you have dozens of bands all competing to get onto the same tour or fest, it really makes it harder to be chosen to perform.
If only it were simply that we could say "Hey lets tour Europe and play some festivals this summer!" I wish we could make it happen that easily, that'd be great! :D

Your sort of music( even if people havent bought the cd's ) Would go down a treat in europe. Its the sort of music that goes down far better especially in the mid-europe section. In america the big thing at the moment is metalcore/screamcore/cuntcore. You guys would get a great response from wacken or bloodstock or something. But again its up to the promoters.