So I finally mic'ed a cab...

Jan 11, 2007
Until last night I had never mic'ed a real guitar cab. So I made a simple industrial type song to expirement with.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTdFWGJKMHdqV0R2Wmc9PQ

The amp was my 5150, which I bought after reading recommendations on this forum (thanks guys I love it and it was cheap as hell too). The mic used was an sm58 (all I've got), into an mbox, no mic preamp, and probally the most unacoustic room in the world. I just shoved the mic up by the spearker cone, no adjustment or anything.

Two tracks of rthym guitar with my Ibanez Jem w/ JB pickups using the 5150's red channel with a Rocktron Hush and a parametric eq in the fx. The lead is the same thing but with delay added after the fact. On the mellow solo in the middle I used the bridge pickup with the tone nob turned down.

It sounds pretty cool on my stereo and in my car, but the rthym guitars sound way to bassy on my computer. I tried to compress the rythm guitars but I kept fucking it up.

Opinions, suggestion, and naked pictures of your hot sisters please.

Hi!

Yep, the guitars sound a bit muddy/bassy. Maybe something that can be only fixed by recording them again? If you can, try to move the cab around the room to see if that affects the bass response. One "trick" is to play some music through your monitors and just walk around the room listening how the bass changes in intensity. If it really builds up somewhere, don't stick the amp/mic there! :) Also, maybe dial less resonance and/or bass from the Peavey?

Anyhoo, just something off the top of my head. Sorry, I don't have a sister!

The mic used was an sm58 (all I've got), into an mbox, no mic preamp

Congratulations you defeated technology:p

But for real the low end on the guitars is bit well :puke: id try re recording and this time spend a little longer on mic placement just play something through the amp see which speaker sounds best stick on some iso headphones and sweep the mic around that speaker untill you are happy you have the sweet spot. You will hear pretty big difference in tone from moving the mic just a few mm so its important that you spend some time on this and not just throw up a sm57/58 and expect killer results.

Thanks for the tip about the looking for bass hot spots, sounds like a good idea. Hurt my back last week and can't move the darn cabinet into a room large enough to try this out in (its in a room about the size of a walk in closet at the moment).

I tried another go at the mix, tried to reduce the bass in the guitar tone with a multiband compressor and an eq.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TTdFZUNwQk5PSHhFQlE9PQ

Hopefully this will induce a smaller amount of vomitting.

The donkey thinks to himself...

"Holy fuck midget donkeys you must have induced so much vomit that everyone that listened to the second mix choked to death. That must be the reasoning behind getting no response even though over a 140 people looked at this thread."

The donkey then scratches himself, makes a donkey noise, and moves on.