So i have $2000 to spend on a preamp...

brianhood

No Care Ever
But i have a digi 003 rack+

I want to buy a preamp that isn't a complete waste of my money, since i hear that you can't bypass the pre's in the digi 003.

I have a few in mind, but i want to see what you guys suggest.

I'm looking to get either a two or four channel preamp.

you could also get the major Black Lion Audio Mod for the 003 ... I think its almost 1200 but from what I've read its basically a major upgrade to every aspect of the 003 and makes it sound amazing.

This is only what I've read but it might not be a bad thing to look into

API A2D

Two 312 preamps + awesome A/D conversion w/ SPDIF out + 2:1 button to get more "iron" in the tone = AWESOME

And the Black Lion mods look awesome, but void the warranty...just FYI

API A2D

Two 312 preamps + awesome A/D conversion w/ SPDIF out + 2:1 button to get more "iron" in the tone = AWESOME

I'm still strongly looking at this suggestion of yours for when I upgrade my hardware ... just not sure if I should throw down on this or maybe find a good 002 on ebay for dirt cheap and put the $$$ into one of the BLA mods

on that subject, anyone ever hear anything with the Black Lion pres?

you could also get the major Black Lion Audio Mod for the 003 ... I think its almost 1200 but from what I've read its basically a major upgrade to every aspect of the 003 and makes it sound amazing.

This is only what I've read but it might not be a bad thing to look into

yeah i just recently heard about that. I may post a thread about it to see what peoples thoughts on

API A2D

+1

If you going to buy something, start with something good - not something "ok" that you will sell in the future to upgrade to API's.

API is the rock preamp - period.

Pointless, no, but although their importance is debated, I still think quality converters do make a difference, especially when compared to the ones in the 003 :erk: