So I have a new Podx3 Live

Is that a Jackson in the guitar stand? Try that one if you haven't already.

And yes, by all means try a new cable. I've had a cable go bad once, right in a studio session during demo recordings. The tone changed, the gain vanished, and at first we couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong until we changed the guitar cable. All tone came back right there.

If u can't fix tht amp, sell it off to ebay!! i will buy it from you.. and make sure it goes out worldwide \m/

I watched the video, and it really sounds like you have your volume knob on your guitar to 2, I KNOW YOU DON't, but it sounds like it's comming from the guitar but not the amp...

Keep us posted !

Alright, I try to get some new cables soon. But let's say it's not the cables, what would you say the problem was just from listening? Can you tell just from listening? I took it in a couple weeks ago because I was dissatisfied and the store owner said nothing was wrong with it, was he just fucking with me?

I'm with Jeff now. Change batteries in guitar, then cables, guitar and cables, whatever, until you find the problem. It sounds like dead batteries in the EMG's to me. Something tells me that if you just change the batteries in the guitar and go: Guitar -> New Cable -> VHT, the amp will tear your face off. If the guy at the store hooked it up and checked it out, then he may be right, which means the problem is on your end.

Check everything. Do you have you cab hooked up correctly with the head set to the correct ohmage? Have you replaced the Batteries in your guitars? Do you have a bad cable somewhere? If the same shit is happening on the POD AND the VHT, it's got to be either guitar, batteries, pickup, cables... something in the chain before the amp/pod.

Well it's not the batteries in the EMG's because I changed those not even a month ago, and yes, to the person that asked, that is a Jackson on the stand, and I use it more than I do my 7 string with the EMG's. The Jackson doesn't have EMG's, and I still get the same disappointing tone, except it's even MORE passive.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some new cables. Anyone want to recommend me some? I'll keep you guys posted if I get anything surprising.

DON'T BUY THEM FROM THE GUITAR STORE.

ESPECIALLY NOT FUCKING MONSTER.

If you can, just get some Mogami or Canare cable and Switchcraft or Neutrik jacks. PM me if you don't know what to get or anything like that.

Jeff

I threw out the monster cables I had today, and I went out and bought some Mogami cables.

Well worth the $100.
The tone is certainly better, but I'm still convinced something is wrong. It still doesn't have any type of crushing sounds, it's clearer, and everything through my POD sounds better, but the amp still gives off a wimpy gain.

I threw out the monster cables I had today, and I went out and bought some Mogami cables.

Well worth the $100.
The tone is certainly better, but I'm still convinced something is wrong. It still doesn't have any type of crushing sounds, it's clearer, and everything through my POD sounds better, but the amp still gives off a wimpy gain.

And that is from Guitar to New Cable, straight to the VHT?

If So, then I don't give a shit what the guy at the store said. Something is wrong. It may need new Preamp Tubes, or worse. If they won't look at it where you bought it, then take it somewhere that will. Trust me. Put in the effort to get that head running in Top condition. You'll be glad you did.

Well have you tried different guitars yet? Be sure to check everything before you assume the problem is the amp (simply for the sake of cost and effort of getting the amp fixed)

Yeah, he said he got the same results with his Jackson that has Passive pickups. I was deducing that if he's getting better results from the POD, after getting a new cable, then it's possible something is up with the amp.

Another thing though...
You said the battery in the EMG's was less than a month old. That, however, proves nothing. I've watched guys put in a Duracell straight out of the packaging that was dead an hour later. You never know man.

Yeah, he said he got the same results with his Jackson that has Passive pickups. I was deducing that if he's getting better results from the POD, after getting a new cable, then it's possible something is up with the amp.

Another thing though...
You said the battery in the EMG's was less than a month old. That, however, proves nothing. I've watched guys put in a Duracell straight out of the packaging that was dead an hour later. You never know man.

I changed the battery today just in case it was something with the battery. Same results.

I'm just going to take it to a shop around here and see what's wrong. Depending on what it might be, this should be in excess of $1000? God forbid is goes that high, I'm hoping that a repair would take $100-$200 at the most.

I just need this amp to be fixed in like 2 weeks because I'm recording with my band.

Yeah, I'd say just bring it in, and if you come to pick it up and the tech again says it's fine, have him play it right in front of you to put his money where his mouth is, so to speak

I changed the battery today just in case it was something with the battery. Same results.

I'm just going to take it to a shop around here and see what's wrong. Depending on what it might be, this should be in excess of $1000? God forbid is goes that high, I'm hoping that a repair would take $100-$200 at the most.

I just need this amp to be fixed in like 2 weeks because I'm recording with my band.

I highly doubt it will cost that much man. Just make sure you get at least a couple of good references for the shop you take it to. Honestly, you could be looking at as little as a $15-$30 repair job. You just never know.

And yeah, regardless of what they say they fixed, or whatever was or was not wrong with it. Don't leave with it until you plug it in and play it right there in front of them.

If it lacks gain, try changing tube positions. The gain knob is after the first triode on the 1st tube, so, try removing the 1st tube (the one closer to the input knob) and put it where the 3rd tube is, and vice-versa. If it is a bad tube, SOMETHING will happen by doing so. Or try buying a new set of tubes, it's like $8 each 12ax7...

Or sell me your amp cheap and i will fix it here :heh:

Before you tak e it to a shop, I'd recomend you just buy new tubes and put them in at home, even if it dosent solve the problem new tube sare a good thing to have.

Update:

I talked to the people at VHT, they said that it's most likely the preamp tubes. I'm going to buy some today, which ones do you guys recommend? Someone told me to get the Shuguang 9th Generations, but I want some more opinions.