So I put a guitar string through an electron microscope. (for broadband users lol)

I've never liked d'addario to be honest. Subconsciously, I've always felt something wasn't right. The only thing that made me go for them was the so-called 'moisture proof' pack they come in. Time for a change I guess. :)

And kev, THANKS! :headbang:

Btw guys - Just a thought even though I'm pretty sure it's not too accurate. The black shit could very well be skin fibers?
They are packed by humans, right? :erk:

Don't worry, I'm hardly gonna change from strings I like the sound and feel of because just because there's a little gunk on them that's only visible at what, like 500x magnification? :loco: (do you happen to know what the mag. factor is for each pic Kev?)

Wow, one of the best posts on this forum, ever! :worship:

Dean Markley Blue Steels are supposedly factory sealed and "Cryogenically Activated," I wonder if they would look any different. Elixrs just have a bunch of plastic coating on them.

Don't worry, I'm hardly gonna change from strings I like the sound and feel of because just because there's a little gunk on them that's only visible at what, like 500x magnification? :loco: (do you happen to know what the mag. factor is for each pic Kev?)

I cant remember precisely Marcus, but what i do know is that the maximum we went to was 325x. The equipment can go up to 500,000 times lol.

Wow, one of the best posts on this forum, ever! :worship:

Dean Markley Blue Steels are supposedly factory sealed and "Cryogenically Activated," I wonder if they would look any different. Elixrs just have a bunch of plastic coating on them.

That would be fairly interesting actually Kaz!

Kev, you wanna get Ernie Ball tested?

Sounds like im going to have to get in a bunch of string brands now then :lol:

Amazing pic! I wonder how strings that are a couple of months old would look under the same magnification.

And yeah +1 to different-string-brands-zoomed-to-325x shootout :lol:

I'd laugh if you tested a whole bunch of strings and up close they all looked the same. I've always been dubious about people saying they can feel a major difference between string brands, because barring elixers with their wierd plastic coating, I feel they're mostly much of likeness.

i do not think any other strings will look much different in terms of dirt, but I am more curious to see surfaces. if they are more smooth or not.

i do not think any other strings will look much different in terms of dirt, but I am more curious to see surfaces. if they are more smooth or not.

+1
Both the manufacturing process and the instant you unpack it would contribute to the accumulation of dust. I too would like to see a comparison of the surfaces.

I think all that black junk is the powder that Daddario uses in their sealed packs to keep the "corrosion" process form happening during packaging and shipping. Curious to see how Earnie Ball, Elixir and Dean Markley look brand new and how they look after a few months of heavy use.

I also want to see 500,000x see the fucking individual atoms.