So I put a guitar string through an electron microscope. (for broadband users lol)

Really interesting post! I don't have much to add, but I'd love to see if there's a difference between brands.

That is SO cool!! Thanks !!!:headbang:

I'd love to see anything else you can get that kind of look at!
Elixers (any coated string I guess), but mostly I wanna see what a used, well played string looks like, gunk-wise!!!!:OMG:
I'm dying to see what the gunk looks like, because I already know what it sounds like:)

Awesome! But why seems to be painted white?

Did you tried with sperm? I'm sure you'll say No, but none will believe you.
Jus in case, if I ever buy a private plane I'll check that no sperm is on the engine.

I've been using Kerly Music (formerly Kerly Kues) strings for some time now and they're not coated but being treated/hardened like high-performance steel (like what's been used in aerospace). I call them the "Nasa-strings", haha. A bit pricey compared to regular strings, but the vastly extended lifetime has made them the "perfect set" for me.

Apparently, their surface is much smoother than that of "regular" strings:

Scrackedstrings.gif

So, I'd wonder if they look any different under such a microscope...

Uh-oh, looks like IBM felt threatened and had to one-up you, Kev!

Single molecule pictured for first time

' Scientists from IBM used an atomic force microscope (AFM) to reveal the chemical bonds within a molecule.

'This is the first time that all the atoms in a molecule have been imaged,' lead researcher Leo Gross said.

The researchers focused on a single molecule of pentacene, which is commonly used in solar cells. The rectangular-shaped organic molecule is made up of 22 carbon atoms and 14 hydrogen atoms.

article-1209726-063617DB000005DC-474_468x241.jpg

In the image above the hexagonal shapes of the five carbon rings are clear and even the positions of the hydrogen atoms around the carbon rings can be seen.

To give some perspective, the space between the carbon rings is only 0.14 nanometers across, which is roughly one million times smaller than the diameter of a grain of sand.
'

An IBM copyright being visible at near-atomic levels does raise a few questions... :err:

:lol::lol::lol:

IBM is a little suspicious, but overall it could be legit, considering we have the technology to create a semiconductor with only 3 atoms, how the fuck could we make something that small if we can't see it.

Wow, this thread has turned out to be quite popular somewhat weirdly! I'll definitely check out some other brands for you then guys (especailly the coated ones), I had just intended it to be for a quick laugh for you, but I guess this microscope may have some actual use for us haha :)

I'll grab some ernie balls, elixirs and dean markleys soon and be back with the results.

Awesome! I work for Rolls Royce in Norway and I wish we had cool shit like electron microscopes too! :)

Right then, does that make you...

Erland Solheim?
Erland Antonsen?
Erland Rangnes?
Erland Vakskjold?
Erlend Farstad?

:lol: