So I put a guitar string through an electron microscope. (for broadband users lol)

Interesting! What trips me out is steel "string" , that part that is wrapped looks to me like it's actually square (as opposed to being round)?

I've been using Kerly Music (formerly Kerly Kues) strings for some time now and they're not coated but being treated/hardened like high-performance steel (like what's been used in aerospace). I call them the "Nasa-strings", haha. A bit pricey compared to regular strings, but the vastly extended lifetime has made them the "perfect set" for me.

Apparently, their surface is much smoother than that of "regular" strings:

Scrackedstrings.gif

So, I'd wonder if they look any different under such a microscope...

What the hell are Sinister Strings? http://www.kerlymusic.com/products-electric.php
:rolleyes:

What's so special about those Sinister Strings?

Interesting! What trips me out is steel "string" , that part that is wrapped looks to me like it's actually square (as opposed to being round)?

you didn't know that the cores were shaped into hexagons? They do that so the strings don't slip and go out of tune. All flatwound strings come like that, every brand

damn! that's a new string? i'd hate to see an old one.

a few specs of dirt (or whatever the hell it is) isn't a big deal. i'm sticking with my D'Addario's. it would be really cool to look at the Elixir nanoweb coating, though.

you didn't know that the cores were shaped into hexagons? They do that so the strings don't slip and go out of tune. All flatwound strings come like that, every brand

Actually no I never knew that LoL! And I've been playing guitar now off and on for 18 years :oops:

Further to Kev's awesome images, I had a quick go at putting some strings under the SEM. This machine is over 20 years old so is not capable of the kinds of resolutions achievable by Kev's 'Rolls Royce' (pun intended) of electron microscopes (probably a field emission SEM), but you get the idea:

Here's a scanning electron microscope image of a new Ernie Ball string (gauge 52)

Ernie_Ball_52_new_02.jpg

Same thing up closer

Ernie_Ball_52_new.jpg

An old Ernie Ball 58

Ernie_Ball_58_old.jpg

A new D'addario 70

Daddario_70_new.jpg

These were the only string brands I had available I'm afraid.

To me they look more or less similar, except for the anti-moisture powder (the black stuff) that d'addario offers.

Moreover, the daddario pics had a higher resolution. ;)

Further to Kev's awesome images, I had a quick go at putting some strings under the SEM. This machine is over 20 years old so is not capable of the kinds of resolutions achievable by Kev's 'Roll's Royce' of electron microscopes (probably a field emission SEM), but you get the idea

I think Kev was saying that he WORKS for Rolls Royce, not that the SEM in question was the "Rolls Royce" of SEM's...Looks like both do a great job. Seeing our normal everyday things in different lights is like peering into outer space.

I love this stuff.