So I went to the New Jersey Metal Fest...

Manga-San

Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
Good things and bad things happened, but all in all, it was an incredible night...

Okay, so I got there at six o'clock, just in time to see Children of Bodom. According to the internet, Symphony X wasn't supposed to go on until 11:30 PM, but at the end of CoB's set (6:25 PM), I went over to the second stage, only to find out that Symphony X was just finishing up their half hour set. I only caught King of Terrors and Of Sins and Shadows. Apparently they were originally supposed to go on at 8:30 PM, but since they had to leave for Canada that night, they switched sets with another band. I was MAJORLY bummed, but there was still stuff to see that night.

I went over to the first stage and watched Nevermore, who were outstanding, but the vocals were a little low in the mix. In between sets, the guy I was with, Sam, said that he saw all the bands that he wanted to, and I agreed. It was then when I got the oustanding idea to go around outside to look for the Symphony X tour bus. While milling around, I noticed two guys pushing a cart full of stuff, and all over the containers there was the name "Jason Rullo".

I thought to myself, "It might be a good idea to follow that cart."

So I did. It led me to the Symphony X tour bus, where I introduced myself to the roadies and helped them unload the cart into the storage places under the bus. Then I asked them when the band would be out, and they told me that the band was already relaxing in the bus. I asked them if I could go in and talk to them, and they said it was okay. I was like, "WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!", but I kept my cool.

So I walked in the tour bus, and there were the guys sitting there drinking martinis with their significant others. I introduced myself and shook all of their hands, and they were very nice. We talked about their current tour for a few minutes, and they asked me if I wanted anything signed. I reached into my pocket, only to find a guitar pick. MJR laughed and said that would be a little tough, so they gave me a free program and passed it around the room for an autograph from each band member. I thanked them kindly and told them to have fun performing across the States and Canada...

So, that made my night. Me and Sam went back into the venue to look at what was left of the setlist. It was Dimmu Borgir and some other bands that we didn't really care about, so we decided to leave. On the way back to the truck, we saw the Children of Bodom roadies loading stuff into a trailer, and I decided to ask them if the band was out yet. They said no, and it was really cold and windy, so I decided not to wait. Now I'm home, and I had to tell somebody my story.

Okay, off to bed now...

man, it sucks to be you hey, missing out the SyX set and all.....NOT!

Thats truly awsomme, thanks for sharing. You must of had a blast

OfSinsAndShred said:
Hey, how was CoB sounding? I'm seeing them tomorrow, and don't know what to expect at all.

They were AWESOME. The highlight of my night music-wise. I don't remember all of the names of the songs that they played, but I do remember that they played Sixpounder, Angels Don't Kill, and Touch Like an Angel of Death...

The guy I went with had never heard CoB before, and he doesn't like harsh vox, but after they finished Sixpounder, he said that the first thing he was going to do was go buy some CoB albums...

They had tons of energy (especially Alexi Laiho), and the solos were mad crazy. I loved every bit of it...

Manga-San said:
They were AWESOME. The highlight of my night music-wise. I don't remember all of the names of the songs that they played, but I do remember that they played Sixpounder, Angels Don't Kill, and Touch Like an Angel of Death...

The guy I went with had never heard CoB before, and he doesn't like harsh vox, but after they finished Sixpounder, he said that the first thing he was going to do was go buy some CoB albums...

They had tons of energy (especially Alexi Laiho), and the solos were mad crazy. I loved every bit of it...

Whoa are you sure about those songs? Cause none of those are on their recent setlists which is:

Needled 24/7
Hate Me
Chokehold
Silent Night BOdom Night
Bodom Beach Terror
Downfall

although someone on the COB forum said at the metalfest they played Everytime I Die instead of Beach Terror.

Yngvai X said:
Whoa are you sure about those songs? Cause none of those are on their recent setlists which is:

Needled 24/7
Hate Me
Chokehold
Silent Night BOdom Night
Bodom Beach Terror
Downfall

although someone on the COB forum said at the metalfest they played Everytime I Die instead of Beach Terror.

I'm absolutely positive about Sixpounder, and pretty sure about the others...

Wlaking on the tour bus unannounced, that's a pretty bold move, but I guess the roadies know what kind of guys they are. You're lucky they aren't pricks or you'd have been standing there like a chump! :)

scanner313 said:
Wlaking on the tour bus unannounced, that's a pretty bold move, but I guess the roadies know what kind of guys they are. You're lucky they aren't pricks or you'd have been standing there like a chump! :)

No no no...

I followed the roadies who were packing Jason Rullo's gear into the bus, and asked them if the guys were out yet. They said that they were already chilling in the van. I asked them if I could go in, one of the roadies went in first to see if it was okay with the band, then he came back out and told me to go in...