So...I'm thinking about trading off my Triaxis/2:90

I had a TriAxis/2:90 rig for a while and while it was definitely cool, it sounded kind of 2 dimensional...especially after selling my early Mark IV to get it. I ended up ditching the rack rig and bought a Savage 120. The Savage is a beast of an amp and sounds incredible, but I really missed that low midrange growl of a Boogie, especially in a live situation. I ended up letting it go after a few months and went back to Boogie. It seems like no matter what I try I always come back to Mesa. If you're interested in a Roadking, I'd really recommend a Roadster. Of all of the high gain amps I've had over the years it's by far my favorite. The Roadking is an awesome amp, but it has so many features crammed into it that it kind of loses its 'organic' qualities. There Roadster is more stripped down and to the point, but still loaded with lots of great features. If you have the opportunity to check one out I really recommend it. I get picked on a lot for being a bit of a gear whore because I tend to not hold on to things for long, but I've been rocking this thing for almost 2 years and am really happy with it.

What is making you want to trade out in the first place?

I'm a fan of keeping what I have and purchasing what I want so that if I dont like the new thing, I dont have to jump through hoops to go back to it.

I've had it for 6 years now and have gotten to where it's a little more hassle than I like to deal with. I'm to the point that even if I had it in a rack, I think I still wanna roll with a head. It's had a hum on higher-gain settings that I've never been ok with and there has never been a cure for...even sent it back to the factory and they sent it back with the hum still on it. I've even gotten to where I have totally reshaped my idea of what distorted tone should sound like as a compromise to get rid of just a little more of that hum. A couple of my favorite guitar tones...McTallica - Black Album, Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black, and Dream Theater - Awake...have been surpassed by what simpler rigs can do (Dual Rec, 5150, etc) and the only one of those tones I even like anymore and have never been able to attain with it is from DNB.

I have just gotten to where I feel I'm ready to move on and start trying out new stuff...then see what I can get for my current rig. It's a cumbersome rig to be dragging around, and I just kinda feel I should scale back to a head. I also have a Peavey Ultra I need to eventually have repaired so I can get rid of.

I'm not in any position to be spending money on anything, I was barely able to afford the rig I have now when I did. Marriage/kids takes the steam out of all that. So, it's either live with what I got...or trade up. Fuck, if I found the right idiot to do it, I could probably trade it for a dual rec AND a 6505. I dunno...

I had a TriAxis/2:90 rig for a while and while it was definitely cool, it sounded kind of 2 dimensional...

I felt the same way. I owned a Triaxis/2:90 rig (got it for the versatility and MIDI switching) and fell out of love with it after about 6 months. The preamp/poweramp setup just didn't sound as good as a head. I also got sick of lugging around a 16 space rack. I dumped all that and went to Dual Rectifiers and MkIV's. Later dumped the MkIV, but still like the old 2Ch. Recto.

Switching out the Triaxis/2:90 for the Recto and 6505 might not be a bad way to go...