Triaxis for metal?

Jaekae

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden
Im on need of a preamp that only take one rackspace, which means engl e530 or a mesa triaxis, i can get a really nice deal of a used triaxis, but a engl would still be slightly cheaper, so how do the triaxis do metal? Ive never tried one before, would it do a better job than a e530, used to own one of those engls before but traded it to make some extra money a while back

Anyone who has opinions on triaxis?

I own a Triaxis and want to sell it.

For many people it is the best preamp ever. Not for me.

It has nice metal sounds, very tight and it is very versatile in case you want different tones for different styles, but I came to conclusion that I don't like Mesa Boogie, not even Dual Recto, I'm going to switch to Engl and probably buy a E570 (E530's big bro).

I find Triaxis a bit weak and thin in some mid low area frequencies. Not ballsy enough. Somebody told me that is just a matter of tubes... actually I have tried EH, Sovteks and TungSols, and not big improvements.

I also think Triaxis is a great preamp for soloists but not for rythm power riffings. In the mid 90's most of the shredding geeks had one.

Another thing you probably should know is that it is recommended to match it with the mesa 2:90 poweramp. That is fucking true. I used to play it with a Peavey 50/50 and some months ago I got a 2:90... tone improved a lot, much richer, specially with deep and Modern modes on.

So, after 3 years i will sell it. If I had money I would keep it with me forever.

Very good for classic metal and shredding. Reliable on stage.
Not so good for modern metal.

I recorded the last Alkemyst album with it and I was quite satisfied. But to say the least, this preamp has got a lot of personnality. The tone can get a bit annoying. It sounds a bit out of date, I think.

I got one. It does the job. I'm just looking for something simpler. Got a decent Dual Rec, just needs new tubes.
I might post my Triaxis for sale here soon, just looking to see what Craigs does for me first.

I never was able to get a decent sound for a recording. When you mic it is when you notice that weakness and thin sounding.

Though every triaxis sounds different according to which version it is, tubes and mods.

I dont think that different versions of the triaxis sound different except for the lead 1 red mode; whether you have the phat version or not. Personally i wouldnt use that mode so i never cared but some people might so then you should look for what version you like. but the rest of the mnodes sound the same.

The cleans i think are to die for but the subject is about metal so here is what i think:
i think that it is tight as hell but this unit has a looooooot of mids. that can work for some styles but imo that's what might make it sound weak for some other styles. Now of course you can play with the DV but the problem with that unit is that these are presets curves so you might not like what you get or you might. Personally i would recommend someone have a good parametric eq (most importantly not a tone sucker!) i use the TC 1140 before the poweramp. so because mids is such a broad term you can find was freq you would specifically like to alter and experiment. that way i got some really good results. (then if you find a pattern of things you are doing with the eq you can ask mesa to modify your TA but its a hassle i know haha). I must stress that all that is if you feel limited with the DV otherwise you dont need to do any of that.

Another thing to note is that if you are not used to mark series dont give up qucikly you need to understand wht pre gain and post eq is and how it applies. how the treble affects the gain the bass might get flubby before the eq etc

Ok put in fewer words. The triaxis is great i love it! it can give you some great metal tones. But if youre thinking recto or 5150 "modern" type of tones i wouldn't buy it! Remember really the best poweramp to use with it is the 2:90. Youve got some great options in there with the deep and modern switch but its still a simul class power amp!